Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

key card

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do the key cards unlock the Tesla vehicle when the vehicle is locked (turn off BlueTooth on your phone to test this)? Lock the Tesla vehicle using your phone, then turn off Bluetooth on your phone. Tap the key card to the A pillar just behind the driver's door. If the card(s) will not unlock the Tesla vehicle then the card is no longer paired to the vehicle.

If the key card(s) will unlock the Tesla vehicle are you certain that you are placing the key card in the correct location to start the vehicle, begin driving. The correct location for the key card is on top of the center console just behind the cup holders. If the Tesla vehicle is unlocked but does not detect the phone (because BT is turned off) the Tesla main screen will display a graphic showing the correct location to enable driving using the key card.

Upvote 0
If the key cards stopped working, it quite possible that they got deleted when you were adding your phone. It is really easy to accidently delete keys. Good news is that if this is the case, you can re-add the key just like you added your phone. You can get a list of the keys assigned to your car in the main screen under "keys".

Now, if when you go into the keys section of the main screen it sill lists the key cards I don't know what to tell you.

Keith

Upvote 0
Really? It's easy to re-add keys if you've deleted both of them!? Whenever I've added a key, it has me place a key on the console to confirm. How can you do this if you don't have any keys paired? Will it allow you to use your phone for this?

As an aside, it requires me to tap a key card even if I'm just removing a cellphone as a key. I imagine the keycards require the same so it seems like it would be hard to delete your keycards by accident.

Reactions: GtiMart
Upvote 0
Really? It's easy to re-add keys if you've deleted both of them!? Whenever I've added a key, it has me place a key on the console to confirm. How can you do this if you don't have any keys paired? Will it allow you to use your phone for this?

As an aside, it requires me to tap a key card even if I'm just removing a cellphone as a key. I imagine the keycards require the same so it seems like it would be hard to delete your keycards by accident.
You could be 100% correct, I am new to this as well and thought you just needed a paired key of some kind (phone, key fob, or key card) in order to pair another key... is that incorrect?

Keith

Upvote 0
You could be 100% correct, I am new to this as well and thought you just needed a paired key of some kind (phone, key fob, or key card) in order to pair another key... is that incorrect?

Keith

From the manual:
"NOTE: Your vehicle requires at least one authenticated key card or key fob at all times. If only one key card is included on the key list, this key cannot be deleted."

Reactions: bluenycom
Upvote 0
From the manual:
"NOTE: Your vehicle requires at least one authenticated key card or key fob at all times. If only one key card is included on the key list, this key cannot be deleted."

Do the new style key fob's operate via Bluetooth? I am wondering if a "phone as key" counts as a keyfob or if it operates in a different manner and is not counted as a keyfob.

Keith

Upvote 0
Do the new style key fob's operate via Bluetooth? I am wondering if a "phone as key" counts as a keyfob or if it operates in a different manner and is not counted as a keyfob.

Keith
I have learned that KeyFob uses both bluetooth and RFID. When pairing, I needed to put it in the center console the same way key card is paired. However, it also has battery to power bluetooth to allow proximity lock/unlock like how phone work.

• Informative
Reactions: Fourdoor
Upvote 0