Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Cards Got Erased Somehow...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I went to add my new iPhone 12 Pro Max to my wife's Y tonight. Whipped out my keycard from the drawer and it would not open the car on the door pillar and would not allow me to add my iPhone. I had to use my wife's key card. What's weird is I also have 2 extra cards that were made at the SC when I brought it in for service, I had forgotten to bring one of the cards. My question here is does anyone know if I can duplicate the key card of my wife's that DOES work onto my spare cards that no longer work? Or, do I have to go to a SC to have it done? And, being that I purchased the 2 cards and one of the original ones that came with the Y don't work is their a charge for them to reprogram them? And, do I need the Y with me to have this done (or my wife's working card) or will they program it for me if I show them my identification (to verify I am one of the owners of the Y)? Thanks in advance.

So I went to add my new iPhone 12 Pro Max to my wife's Y tonight. Whipped out my keycard from the drawer and it would not open the car on the door pillar and would not allow me to add my iPhone. I had to use my wife's key card. What's weird is I also have 2 extra cards that were made at the SC when I brought it in for service, I had forgotten to bring one of the cards. My question here is does anyone know if I can duplicate the key card of my wife's that DOES work onto my spare cards that no longer work? Or, do I have to go to a SC to have it done? And, being that I purchased the 2 cards and one of the original ones that came with the Y don't work is their a charge for them to reprogram them? And, do I need the Y with me to have this done (or my wife's working card) or will they program it for me if I show them my identification (to verify I am one of the owners of the Y)? Thanks in advance.

My question here is does anyone know if I can duplicate the key card of my wife's that DOES work onto my spare cards that no longer work?

Yes.

Or, do I have to go to a SC to have it done?

No.

And, being that I purchased the 2 cards and one of the original ones that came with the Y don't work is their a charge for them to reprogram them?

No charge. DiY.

And, do I need the Y with me to have this done (or my wife's working card).

Yes and Yes for card.

or will they program it for me if I show them my identification (to verify I am one of the owners of the Y)?

RTM. You can do this your self.

:cool:

BTW - Your card profile may have been erased that is why it did not work.

I name my cards (in the car computer) and mark them with a small sticker to identify them from each other. FYI, one card can be programmed to be a key for another Model Y/Model 3 - at the same time! ;)

Last edited: