Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
  • Want to remove ads? Register an account and login to see fewer ads, and become a Supporting Member to remove almost all ads.
  • The final cut of TMC Podcast #29 is available now with topics time-stamped. We discussed the Tesla Cybertruck's expected 1 MW Ultra-Fast Charging capability, the Tesla Semi Delivery Event, the coming Model 3 refresh (project "Highland"), and more. You can watch it now on YouTube.

Key Cards no longer work on B pillar, works behind the cup holders

Hi Folks,

I went to test my key cards today to unlock my M3. Nothing. I had to use my phone key app to unlock. the sensor behind the cup holder recognizes the cards because I'm able to drive. I tried deleting and re-installing the key cards which worked, but nothing on the b-pillar. Time for a service call? Has anyone had the pillar sensor replaced?

thanks,
Ed

stopcrazypp

Dec 8, 2007
Hi Folks,

I went to test my key cards today to unlock my M3. Nothing. I had to use my phone key app to unlock. the sensor behind the cup holder recognizes the cards because I'm able to drive. I tried deleting and re-installing the key cards which worked, but nothing on the b-pillar. Time for a service call? Has anyone had the pillar sensor replaced?

thanks,
Ed
Are you doing it on the driver's side pillar at the location where the manual says to do it?
Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

Is the key card able to lock the door?

jjrandorin

Moderator, Model 3, Tesla Energy Forums
Nov 28, 2018
Riverside Co. CA
Yes, driver side pillar. No lock either. It allows me to start the car and drive. Maybe something happened to the sensor :(

How are you verifying that it allows you to start the car and drive? If you unlock the car with your phone key (because the keycard isnt working) you would have to sit there for at least a couple minutes to ensure its not the phone key starting the car.

the best way to test this I can think of would be to leave your car unlocked, make sure the phone key is no where around, and then open the unlocked door and try to use the keycard to drive. Perhaps thats what you did?

the best way to test this I can think of would be to leave your car unlocked, make sure the phone key is no where around, and then open the unlocked door and try to use the keycard to drive. Perhaps thats what you did?

Or you could try to add a new phone key... the first thing it does is asks for your key card.

Reactions: jjrandorin

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC