TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Key cards showing up as "Unknown Keys"

Discussion in 'Model 3: User Interface' started by NathanielHrnblwr, Sep 4, 2018.

1. NathanielHrnblwr

My two key cards I got at delivery were already programmed in my car. For some reason, they're called "Unknown Keys" on the touchscreen. I don't think this is normal but they don't have a trashcan next to them to remove them and re-add them. They both work so it's not a big deal short of the labeling.

Ideas?

• Like x 1
  2. Msjulie

Msjulie Active Member

Ours too - there is supposedly a way to name them but sorry to say it obviously didn't matter enough to me to remember the instructions! :)

3. Abstrakt1

Abstrakt1 Member

That is how mine is as well, two phones it knows and two key cards that are unknown.

4. Eno Deb

Eno Deb Active Member

Same here. I wish there was a way to quickly remove the cards from the vehicle just in case a card is lost or stolen. Right now it's not even possible to tell which card corresponds to which ID as far as I can tell.

5. NathanielHrnblwr

well, at least I am not the only one.

6. Muskol

Muskol Member

When use either of the key cards or phone key it shows a timestamp on the corresponding key from the list. You can use that to differentiate them in the event you lose one etc.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  7. smatthew

smatthew Member

That works, but they really need to give us the ability to name keycards.

8. Kermee

Kermee It's Not Easy Being Green

I'd love to know how to rename them as well. I've sent off an email to Tesla. We'll see if they reply.

9. twm01

twm01 Member

I had this as an item on my first SC visit, here is the info from my RO:

upload_2018-9-7_9-12-52.png

So sounds like it will be fixed with a future software update...

• Like x 1
  10. NathanielHrnblwr

The best fixes are the ones that happen automatically. Thanks for sharing the info from the SC.

• Like x 1
  11. NathanielHrnblwr

This has been fixed with v9 on my car.

• Like x 1
  12. Muskol

Muskol Member

I've noticed you can name the key cards now as of 44.2

13. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

There is pen icon to the right of the Key Card. Select the pen icon and you can rename the card.

14. remlemasi

remlemasi Member

Unfortunately, renaming as above doesn't fix the issue of "Unknown Key" as the key type. This is how new key fobs and new key cards are being labeled. My original key cards are labeled as the "Key Card" type. Paired phones also show up correctly.

15. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Member

OK, I was just responding to requests of how to rename key cards. My key cards are also labaled as key card.

• Like x 1
  16. EVnut

EVnut EV #5

Hmm. I've renamed my cards (I now have four for my car) and they seem to totally lose my custom names shortly after I assign a name. Two weeks after I started this, I have the original two cards named correctly, and the two new cards never seem to stay renamed.