Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob (additional) - eBay?

kirkhilles

2014 Model S w/ AP1
May 3, 2019
Northwest Georgia
I have a new to me 2014 (12/2014) and would like to have a backup fob.

I know that the programming has to be done at the Service Center, but if you were to buy one on eBay will they still do it? It looks like you could save $100 or so buying used.

If so, does the fob varies for Model S's? Are all compatible with a 2014?

Has anyone done this successfully? I plan on keeping the car for awhile, so it'd be nice to get a 2nd and later a 3rd key.

Thanks.

Doanster1

Feb 14, 2018
Oregon
Good timing. I want to do the same thing and asked the SC for quotes. Brand new key with programming is $177. Programming an existing working key is about $80. Ranger can do it as well. So the only risk is whether the key you buy from eBay is guaranteed to be working or not.

Reactions: kirkhilles

kirkhilles

2014 Model S w/ AP1
May 3, 2019
Northwest Georgia
Thank you! That's a big help. $177 isn't too bad as that assumes < $100 for a brand new key from Tesla. If I could get that price, I might just suck it up and get Tesla to do it (especially if they can come out to me).

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC