Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob (additional) - eBay?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a new to me 2014 (12/2014) and would like to have a backup fob.

I know that the programming has to be done at the Service Center, but if you were to buy one on eBay will they still do it? It looks like you could save $100 or so buying used.

If so, does the fob varies for Model S's? Are all compatible with a 2014?

Has anyone done this successfully? I plan on keeping the car for awhile, so it'd be nice to get a 2nd and later a 3rd key.

Thanks.

Good timing. I want to do the same thing and asked the SC for quotes. Brand new key with programming is $177. Programming an existing working key is about $80. Ranger can do it as well. So the only risk is whether the key you buy from eBay is guaranteed to be working or not.

Reactions: kirkhilles
Good timing. I want to do the same thing and asked the SC for quotes. Brand new key with programming is $177. Programming an existing working key is about $80. Ranger can do it as well. So the only risk is whether the key you buy from eBay is guaranteed to be working or not.
Are you saying that a used, previously programmed fob can be reprogrammed? Tesla service is telling me that they can't, and the fobs "can only ever be programmed to one car." That doesn't make sense though since there are so many used fobs for sale on eBay. Who would be selling and buying useless fobs?

Are you saying that a used, previously programmed fob can be reprogrammed? Tesla service is telling me that they can't, and the fobs "can only ever be programmed to one car." That doesn't make sense though since there are so many used fobs for sale on eBay. Who would be selling and buying useless fobs?
I never got a third key, but one-time-use seems highly improbable, esp as my SC said they could do it for $80.

The service tech I spoke with said they have had trouble reprogramming used fobs. They said they would bring a new one with them, because it probably wouldn't work to program the fob purchased on eBay. Labor would be $82.50 and the new fob $165. I cancelled my appointment. I didn't feel like paying $247.50 for a second fob at this time. Maybe when my TSLA shares go back to $1200 I feel less frugal.

Reactions: iamthewaughrus
I've read that the used fob can be used again if it was deactivated with the original car. If not, it is unable to be paired to a new car.