TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Key Fob Advice

Discussion in 'Model X' started by ALLMYNE, Apr 7, 2017.

Tags:
  1. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

Hi.....I'll be the sole driver of our MX100D so I only plan of linking 1 of the key fobs to the car

i'm guessing my best option for the 2nd key fob is to store it away, like in a safe, etc so it's far away from the 1st key fob?

Is it ok to leave the main fob in the car while parked in the garage or should I constantly take it with me in the house?
    Not sure what issues there are of leaving it in the car

Ty everyone

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

#2 vandacca, Apr 7, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
    Don't keep the spare in the car, as it will prevent the car from locking itself. There was a story a year ago where a Tesla was stolen in exactly this way. However, they were able to track down the vehicle with the phone app and easily recovered it.

However, if you want to store it in the car, you could remove the battery first so that it's not functional.

3. ALLMYNE

ALLMYNE Member

Thanks
    I was thinking of keeping the spare locked away in the house, like a safe or different room than the main fob
    Just didn't know if many cons existed for leaving main fob in the car while in the garage

4. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

I leave mine in the car, to the dismay of many. I learned the hard way that it runs down the FOB battery quicker so I keep spares in the glove box, but continue to leave it in the car. :rolleyes: While out running errands and depending on locale, I may stuff it in my pocket, but whenever in my garage, it stays in the car. My spare is in the kitchen utility drawer.

5. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Leaving the FOB in the car or within the proximity communication range (Garage) will drain the key fob battery more quickly. I keep mine in A RFID blocking pouch available on Amazon.

6. SMSMD

SMSMD Active Member

Keeping spare batteries in the car as well could be handy in an emergency.
    Amazon.com: 5 New Panasonic CR2354 2354 CR 2354 3V lithium BATTERIES: Home Audio & Theater

7. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

8. hly

hly Member

I believe there is a special location in the car where the fob is not "seen" by the car. You can try to google and if true leave the second fob there.

9. gmtom1

gmtom1 Member

The dead spot for fob detection is in the ledge in the lower trunk well on the left side. An altoids tin works as an RFID shield too.

I'm still searching for a nice fob "pocket" for my keychain. I have the original Caselogic USB carrying cases from 4+ years ago from my S. I'm not really into the silicone versions from Abstract, EVANNEX, etc. I think they make the nice fob look a little silly.

• Like x 1
  10. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

I keep my primary fob with my keys, so I will always pick it up when going out. But the second fob I keep in the garage, but far enough away that the car won't sense it. At first, I would go into the garage to get something from the car only to remember that it was locked and have to go back in the house to get the fob. By keeping one in the garage, I can just pick it up and move it toward the car to unlock it.

11. flar

flar Member

How far away is that? Mine senses me coming up the stairs to the garage before I even get there (I can hear it wake up).

12. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

One of these days we'll bring you into line. :)

• Funny x 1
  13. Jrogville

Jrogville Member

Not very far at all. About 3 feet. Keep in mind, mine is a Model S right now and maybe it won't behave the same way with the Model X. The car will be asleep, then when I pick up the fob and swing it toward the car, it wakes up. I then open the door to keep it awake and put the fob back. After I'm done and all the doors are closed, I find that after a few minutes, the mirrors fold in and it goes back to sleep. I think movement is also involved. If the fob isn't in the car and it stays stationary long enough, the car ignores it and goes to sleep. Don't know if what I'm doing will kill the fob battery, but it's convenient for me and it's the secondary fob anyway, so I can always get another battery.