Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob Battery Degradation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All,

Year and a half in to my P85D ownership and all of the sudden I have a new (annoying) issue. My key fob batteries are going dead very fast.

~4/25 - Warning on dash. Changed battery in the fob I use daily
4/27 - Warning appears again. Thought maybe I should have changed both batteries so I did. I replaced BOTH
3/11 - Waring appears again. Changed both again (today) but I'm fully expecting it to return
Note: Batteries are different brands, from different retailers (so it's not a bad batch of batteries).

Anyone else having this issue? I wonder if it's bug in a recent OS update.

Thanks.
Tim

Did you reset the warning as described here? How to Replace the Tesla Key Fob Battery

Have you checked the battery voltage when the warning comes up? If not it's a good excuse to buy a multimeter. I'm wondering if the battery is really low? I think it's nominally 3V, but mine read more like 3.3V when new and have poor range at 3V.

Where do you usually leave your fobs when you aren't driving? Can your car sense them from there? I understand that can run down the battery.

Is it possible that something presses on the fob when you don't mean to? Pressure inside a tight pocket, or something on top of the fob in a bag? Children playing with the fob?

If those ideas don't help then I'd call service. Possibly a sensor has gone bad in the car, or a switch has gone bad in the fob.

• Informative
Reactions: FlyF4