Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob cracking on top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Since the model s is well over $80K you would expect them to use a material like tungsten for the outter shell of key fob, tungsten doesn't scratch very easily since its so hard.
Also for the buttons they should get mechanical switches rated for 50-60 million clicks (like mechanical gaming keyboards), the circuit board should be shock mounted and water proofed, the case should also be waterproofed/sealed.

its not a cheap car, it shouldn't have a cheap fob.

...you would expect them...
for the buttons they should... the circuit board should... the case should...

it shouldn't...

Maybe you should buy a different car, or go make one yourself.

Sorry, I don't mean to be rude. I actually agree that the fob should be improved, and I fully expect it will be... just probably not up to your standards. In the mean time, the service center will gladly replace any worn fobs free of charge.

Since the model s is well over $80K you would expect them to use a material like tungsten for the outter shell of key fob, tungsten doesn't scratch very easily since its so hard.
Also for the buttons they should get mechanical switches rated for 50-60 million clicks (like mechanical gaming keyboards), the circuit board should be shock mounted and water proofed, the case should also be waterproofed/sealed.

its not a cheap car, it shouldn't have a cheap fob.

I don't want my key fob to weigh a pound. Tungsten is heavy!

http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=density+of+tungsten

My 2nd replacement was done a few months ago, and I haven't seen any cracking since then. I also started using the new fob protector that they gave me at the same time, so technically it could be related to that, but I'm pretty sure it's an improved fob design/manufacturing.

I've had mine since July and it still looks pristine (picture attached). Here's what I've done (and not done):
1. Soft plastic decor piece attached by small zip tie. All plastic. Nothing that can scratch. Adds a little bulk so I am always aware of where it is.
2. Nothing else attached - keys especially. I keep the fob separate from the keys.
3. I make sure there is nothing else in the pocket the fob goes into - keys, coins or whatever. A handkerchief at the most.
4. I do make use of the buttons, especially the top/middle since I am paranoid about it taking so long to auto-lock. Still no marks or signs of impending breakdown.
5. Or maybe I'm just lucky. :smile:

DSCN9211.jpg

I know this thread is old, but has anyone successfully put the little circle back in the top of the fob? If so, how did you do it?

Tesla will replace the fob, but it will just crack again. Get one of those silicone fob covers from Abstract Ocean. They look better than the original fob anyway.

Tesla will replace the fob, but it will just crack again. Get one of those silicone fob covers from Abstract Ocean. They look better than the original fob anyway.

Or, cheap cover, my key looks brand new at one year and a half, here,s my key inca RemoteKote found on Amazon. But i dont push the top, the key reads to the cars through the neoprene cover..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    525.7 KB · Views: 383
or just let it crack. the covers to two of my buttons peeled off months ago--despite the fact that i've pressed those buttons maybe a total of 20 times each in two years--however, the function of the fob and buttons is not impacted at all. now it just looks like the fob, but you can see two buttons with small orange o-rings (or whatever) around them. doesn't bother me at all really. all that thing does is sit in my pocket all day long. that said, next time i'm in for service i will see about replacing it. fwiw.

.. and now that i'm looking at a picture of it, it definitely does not look as good as a new, un-cracked one, lol. will def. be replacing, if only for when other people see it.

IMG_6681_scrub.JPG

Last edited:
Ugh, this just happened to me. Sure it sits in my pocket but I do take it out periodically (every night for example) and I also show it to people when demo'ing the car.

I looked through the threads but other than taking it to Tesla and bothering them has anyone managed to stick the little buttons back on?

I got a free fob holder from Tesla but they add bulk and dont slide into my pocket as well. I just want to put it back together.

IMG_5016.jpg

FWIW, TM Service has a fob 'refurb' kit with all of the 4 black plastic pieces that they use to rebuild the fob, keeping the PC board as appropriate. They can do the fix for you, or if you are far away, they might mail you a kit. Be sure to ask for detailed instructions. It is not intuitively obvious how to disassemble the covers (...unsnap the long side pieces--the front/rear quarter panel-door constructs--then the top--the battery compartment door is separate). Also, using a small flat screwdriver to pop off the parts is a bit destructive, so you don't want to do this until you have the refurb kit. I've done this myself as I was repeatedly breaking the key ring loop with a too stiff metal snap ring. Did not want to make the drive to the service center or bug the techs, so asked them to send me a kit.