Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob cracking on top

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
FWIW, TM Service has a fob 'refurb' kit with all of the 4 black plastic pieces that they use to rebuild the fob, keeping the PC board as appropriate. They can do the fix for you, or if you are far away, they might mail you a kit. Be sure to ask for detailed instructions. It is not intuitively obvious how to disassemble the covers (...unsnap the long side pieces--the front/rear quarter panel-door constructs--then the top--the battery compartment door is separate). Also, using a small flat screwdriver to pop off the parts is a bit destructive, so you don't want to do this until you have the refurb kit. I've done this myself as I was repeatedly breaking the key ring loop with a too stiff metal snap ring. Did not want to make the drive to the service center or bug the techs, so asked them to send me a kit.

Ok thanks. I emailed service and they encouraged me to just drop by any service center to have a quick fix done so that will be my plan I guess since the rest sounds like a pain!

Both of my fobs are on the verge on losing the covers and are pretty scratched up. I was waiting till one of the covers pops off, but maybe I'll toss them my fobs when my car goes in for service next. Should be a simple procedure I imagine.