Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob Design for Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Any speculation about the design of the key fob for the model X, I guess it can't be the same as for the Model S. Just to make it thicker to reflect the height of the car w/o any additional functionalities wouldn't make sense either. Maybe anybody made some thoughts about it and would like to discuss to shorten the waiting time for it :smile:

BAM!!

& I like it
12032145_1223995447626272_219474036401082064_n.jpg

I wonder how it functions. Will it just unlock when pressing the top or will the falcon wing doors open? Will they both open or will they be able to open independently? You know...similar to minivans opening its doors remotely and independently

I wonder how it functions. Will it just unlock when pressing the top or will the falcon wing doors open? Will they both open or will they be able to open independently? You know...similar to minivans opening its doors remotely and independently

I would be pretty positive that's how it works. Buttons on the sides for the falcon wing doors. Same as the hatchback on the S.

I was recently surprised to learn that the Model S does not have individual FOBs that would precondition the car to the drivers preferences. That has been around for several years on nearly every car over $25K. Although I will be the primary driver of my Model X (someday soooon), it would be great for most to have a FOB for each driver and allow the seats and mirrors to adjust when approaching the car.

I guess the Model S has a preset button for multiple drivers??

Yes you can set up many named drivers. Much better than the different fobs. My wife and I always have keys to both our S's in our pockets. Would be confusing to the car with cutom fobs.

I think Tesla has switched to using Bluetooth Smart for the keyless unlocking and start system. On page 173 of the manual Blurry_Eyed uploaded, it states that Tesla is manufacturing the key fob and it operates at 2.4GHz, the frequency used for Bluetooth among other things. On the corresponding page in the Model S manual, 315MHz is listed as the fob frequency and the manufacturer is Pektron.
I would assume that Bluetooth Smart would use more power than the previous setup, so they switched to a larger battery for longer life.

Would anyone have any comment on the reasons for using a different battery 2354 for Model X while Model S fob battery is the more common 2032?

Is it because it's bigger so it should last longer?
The battery is larger.

The battery is also more difficult to find at the store. If you like keeping a spare handy, I would suggest ordering one on the internet. It's not as if you are going to walk into Pep Boys, CVS, Walgreens, Lowes or Home Depot and find one. (I tried - no luck!)

I think Tesla has switched to using Bluetooth Smart for the keyless unlocking and start system. On page 173 of the manual Blurry_Eyed uploaded, it states that Tesla is manufacturing the key fob and it operates at 2.4GHz, the frequency used for Bluetooth among other things. On the corresponding page in the Model S manual, 315MHz is listed as the fob frequency and the manufacturer is Pektron.
I would assume that Bluetooth Smart would use more power than the previous setup, so they switched to a larger battery for longer life.

^ This. The Dallas SC confirmed that it's using Bluetooth.

^ This. The Dallas SC confirmed that it's using Bluetooth.

I remember them talking about this. I presume its Bluetooth LE and that it is so that it can triangulate the signal for the auto open/closing door.

What I'm wondering is that some day, will we be able to use our phone's Bluetooth LE to replace/in place of the key fob. If that happens, I think it'd be amazing