Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob dropping off and bluetooth disconnect

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok 2 issues that have cropped up really bad in the past 1-2 months now.

1. Key fob dropping off - On almost every single drive my key fob "disappears" from the system and I get a message that the key is not detected and that the car will not be able to be driven after the next park location, etc. (whatever the message is). Sometimes it won't detect the key after I enter the car (I enter the car because the key fob is in range and opens the handles, sooooooo...). I have tried both key fobs, I have replaced both batteries, happens with the fob in my pocket, in the center console and literally sitting on the dash in front of the screen. This lasts for a few seconds because I'm digging the key from my pocket, console, etc. and shaking it around so the car can recognize it and it goes away.

2. Bluetooth connection to phone - Also on almost every drive / entry to the car, I have to manually go in and reconnect my phone to bluetooth. This can be overnight, or 30 seconds of me getting out of the car to get the mail and back in. It just will not remember that I have the same phone I was just using and reconnect it.

Again, these problems cropped up in the last 1-2 months and they make the driving experience fairly poor. First world problems, but a key fob and bluetooth connection seems like table stakes for a car these days. I've searched the forums and can't find other instances of this. As you can imagine, I'm not exactly chomping at the bit to call in a Service appt to drop off the car for them to tell me it's "normal". Anyone see this also?

I have the Key fob issue. On mine, the roaming service technical person asked if my phone was charging in the factory wireless charger when this happened. I said yes, always. He ordered another wireless charger that I presume have a modification for emitting too much interference. I suppose this could also cause an issue with Bluetooth, if your phone is in the wireless charger. Anyway, mine is in the shop now to fix this, and random front passenger seat heater bottom cushion turning on by itself, but showing not turned on in the display.

Just brilliant stuff here folks, thank you for the input! I too have a wireless cell phone charger I just purchased from Tesla and installed into my 2016 S apparently right around the time the keyfob thing was happening. I can confirm when I unplug the charger completely, the key fob issue does not exist. I bought a 12V USB plug so I could charge at high speed and the key fob issue is more apparent when plugged in there than in the low speed USB ports in the car. I will contact Tesla to see if they have an updated version of that charger.

Unfortunately the bluetooth connection to the phone dropping after nearly every exit and restart of the vehicle persists, regardless of the charger being plugged into any outlet or even being completely unplugged. That "seems" like a software issue vs. an interference issue in my somewhat limited testing, although all signs point to the charger not being the culprit there.

Thank you so much for the comments, they really helped!!!

Just brilliant stuff here folks, thank you for the input! I too have a wireless cell phone charger I just purchased from Tesla and installed into my 2016 S apparently right around the time the keyfob thing was happening. I can confirm when I unplug the charger completely, the key fob issue does not exist. I bought a 12V USB plug so I could charge at high speed and the key fob issue is more apparent when plugged in there than in the low speed USB ports in the car. I will contact Tesla to see if they have an updated version of that charger.

Unfortunately the bluetooth connection to the phone dropping after nearly every exit and restart of the vehicle persists, regardless of the charger being plugged into any outlet or even being completely unplugged. That "seems" like a software issue vs. an interference issue in my somewhat limited testing, although all signs point to the charger not being the culprit there.

Thank you so much for the comments, they really helped!!!
This happened to me too but only when I left the fob in the center console right by the charger. Anywhere else in the car it is fine.