Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

key fob far away from the tesla?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just got my x. it is randomly unlocking and the headlights turn off and on.

the key fobs are only a few feet away on a hook. do we need to move the fob far away so it does not un lock the car?
Yes, you need to keep the fob further away or put them in some kind of shielded pouch or box. If you search for "faraday pouch" online should see many options.

Also, probably have more luck posting in the X sub-forum instead of the Model 3 sub-forum. ;)

I had dinner with a friend and his car (Model X) kept flashing and turning on...turns out when he got home, his wife left one of the fobs in the car.

We were at a Mexican restaurant and even wrapped his FOB in aluminum...poor man's faraday "ball"

• Funny
Reactions: trace
X owner here. :D I use a pouch for the fob I keep nearby, the one upstairs is fine. Either put it farther away and see if the car is still on (locked is also a good test, use the app to check) or just get a pouch if you really want to keep the fob nearby.

(My backup/second fob is in the kitchen right though the garage wall in a pouch, primary is upstairs in a bedroom.)

It can also prematurely wear down your fob battery as well as your Tesla battery if the car keeps being activated by the fob pinging it.

I would expect that moving it 30 feet away would do it.

Interestingly my car will not activate unless the fob is less than about 10 feet away. When I wash it I just place it that far away and all the doors lock etc. Also I have set it about 4 feet away from the right rear and the frunk is still locked too but I suspect the car and fob are still "talking" and wearing each other out.