Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree, I like using my phone as the key. I still have yet to use the key cards for anything at all. My phone works like a charm, not sure what all the drama and love is about a key FOB. I would rather get rid of all the current keys I have in my pocket and not have to carry them around everywhere it was a move in the right direction in my mind with regards to simplifying my life. The key FOB is a step backwards in my opinion.
I haven't had any issues with the phone as long as I open the app beforehand. If I don't, it's hit or miss. I had a loaner Model S for a week back in May, and I found the fob to be much more convenient. I didn't have to worry about remembering to trigger my phone before going out to the car, and it was 100% reliable. I don't have any significant complaints about the phone as a key, but I'm still looking forward to using a fob instead.

• Informative
Reactions: N5329K
I need a fob. My current phone won't open the door and I don't want to buy another. The card is fine, until winter when the doors and pillars are covered in snow and ice.

I wouldn't think that snow and ice will block the card from being sensed. I know that I can use my card even in my wallet, by just putting my wallet up to the B pillar spot. Haven't tried the inside-the-car spot yet, however. I just use my iphone X, which works beautifully. The only time I've been unable to get into the car is when I had switched my Tesla app to our X, to do something with it. The 3 needs to be selected in the Tesla app for it to work.

i love all the people who insist the phone key is awesome, and how much they can't stand key fobs and what a waste it is, how they don't need one, yadda yadda yadda...but then follow it up with "if it's free, i'll take one."

why hedge? if you're so happy with your phone key, don't bother asking for a fob and save tesla some money.

Some have mentioned that they want it for when they sell the car, for the next owner. In other cases, it may be because they personally don't need it but a family member might. I will probably get them for the next owner, and to have as a backup for another family member who drives the 3 pretty rarely.

Making it free will drive demand beyond what's actually needed - just as free Supercharging has done in certain areas.

Some have mentioned that they want it for when they sell the car, for the next owner. In other cases, it may be because they personally don't need it but a family member might. I will probably get them for the next owner, and to have as a backup for another family member who drives the 3 pretty rarely.

Making it free will drive demand beyond what's actually needed - just as free Supercharging has done in certain areas.

if it's free and the next owner wants one, they can go get one...so that argument is invalid.

I've never had a problem with my phone, but I absolutely prefer a fob over the phone. I can unpair my phone but still use the Tesla App to lock/unlock/charge/etc... But with a fob, I can still use my proximity to unlock/walk-away-lock, I can also feel the fob in my pocket to open the frunk, and if I accidentally leave the phone in the car, I'll still get my car locked, because my fob will never leave my pocket.

And also, my wife not only does not have, but does not want a smart phone. So her only way to use it is with keycard. And that's painful.

The second I get a fob and get it paired, I'm unpairing my phone.

When the fob becomes standard equipment in future Model 3s, will the keycard still be available/supported on those future cars? If not, Tesla can simplify production and save money by eliminating the card readers in the pillar and center console.

When the fob becomes standard equipment in future Model 3s, will the keycard still be available/supported on those future cars? If not, Tesla can simplify production and save money by eliminating the card readers in the pillar and center console.
Supposedly, the Model 3 fob also has NFC, which means that if your fob dies, you can still use the NFC reader in the pillar to lock/unlock, and place your fob on the console to drive. That's what I've been hoping for. No more need to carry a backup keycard. Just one fob.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865

I think it would be very foolish to eliminate the key card. (Even while I support making a fob available.)

If someone wants to use their phone as the primary key -- which many will still want to do even after a fob is available -- it will still be important for those owners to have a backup option to unlock and start their car in case their phone dies or otherwise stops working as a key. And will also need a separate key for valets.

The key card, with its small size and convenient form factor, is well suited to these purposes. Having to carry around a relatively bulky fob for such rare occurrences would be a step backward for those preferring the phone key.

The the phone and card solution is annoying AF for -some- people, myself included. Tesla making a fob is no issue. Tesla offering it for free is an issue.

I'll take 10 of them - thank you very much! My nephew has a Model 3, so I should take another 10 for him as well.

I don't know what the cogs are but these could have sold for $25 and everyone just buys one. If it was $50, most people would still probably get one.

Edit: Clarify the phone doesn't work well for me. I can enter no problem, but can't drive unless phone unlocked.

Last edited:
The the phone and card solution is annoying AF for -some- people, myself included - it works. Tesla making a fob is no issue. Tesla offering it for free is an issue.

I'll take 10 of them - thank you very much! My nephew has a Model 3, so I should take another 10 for him as well.

I don't know what the cogs are but these could have sold for $25 and everyone just buys one. If it was $50, most people would still probably get one.
I'm positive that this whole "free upon request" thing is going to be limited to the first 2 (the same number you get with a Model S or Model X), and after that, there will be a replacement cost similar to the replacement cost for the S/X ($125, I think). There's no way you can get 10 for free.

• Informative
Reactions: BioSehnsucht
I'm positive that this whole "free upon request" thing is going to be limited to the first 2 (the same number you get with a Model S or Model X), and after that, there will be a replacement cost similar to the replacement cost for the S/X ($125, I think). There's no way you can get 10 for free.

I'll take two then! How many can I have for free? That's how many I want, despite living in key card bliss for x amount of time

Free anything guarantees sub optimal behavior. The whole point of a co-pay, even $10 which is relatively nothing discourages doctor visits.

The the phone and card solution is annoying AF for -some- people, myself included - it works. Tesla making a fob is no issue. Tesla offering it for free is an issue.

even suggesting you would try to get 10 for free is completely asinine.

I'll take two then! How many can I have for free? That's how many I want, despite living in key card bliss for x amount of time

Free anything guarantees sub optimal behavior. The whole point of a co-pay, even $10 which is relatively nothing discourages doctor visits.

this is the part that annoys me - the primary method of entering and driving their car does not work for a large portion of the population who is currently driving it. again, THE PRIMARY METHOD DOES NOT WORK. there is absolutely no reason they should not give those people (who have already documented and have open cases with tesla) free fobs.

this is not the same thing as "oh, some experimental thing they said you can maybe use to drive the car doesn't work." they're still TO THIS DAY referencing the phone key as the primary method of entering and driving the car, knowing full well that there's a large chunk of people who it just doesn't work for.

they don't want you to have to use the card any more than you want to use it, if they did they'd already have switched to say the card was primary and the phone was experimenal. they haven't, because they want it to work the way it's supposed to work...which is you walk up to the car, open the door, sit down and drive away, without taking anything out of your pockets. unfortunately, for most people that just doesn't work (and likely won't ever work since they don't control both ends of the tech). the fob solves that problem.

even suggesting you would try to get 10 for free is completely asinine.

If I needed 0, but got two. That's a net dead weight loss of 2 to Tesla. if I needed 1, but got 2 thats a dead weight net loss of 1 to Tesla.

Multiply this effect 100,000 times (Model 3's without fobs) and it adds up to no small change.

I'm reasonable personally, but you count on bad behavior which is why free is such a horrible thing. Tesla should have charged -something-. They burnt money / left money on table for no reason. No one would complain about $25 fobs and wouldn't buy 10 of them.

Unless they go for $50 on Ebay. heh heh

this is the part that annoys me - the primary method of entering and driving their car does not work for a large portion of the population who is currently driving it. again, THE PRIMARY METHOD DOES NOT WORK. there is absolutely no reason they should not give those people (who have already documented and have open cases with tesla) free fobs.

this is not the same thing as "oh, some experimental thing they said you can maybe use to drive the car doesn't work." they're still TO THIS DAY referencing the phone key as the primary method of entering and driving the car, knowing full well that there's a large chunk of people who it just doesn't work for.

they don't want you to have to use the card any more than you want to use it, if they did they'd already have switched to say the card was primary and the phone was experimenal. they haven't, because they want it to work the way it's supposed to work...which is you walk up to the car, open the door, sit down and drive away, without taking anything out of your pockets. unfortunately, for most people that just doesn't work (and likely won't ever work since they don't control both ends of the tech). the fob solves that problem.

Actually, the phone doesn't work well for me which I documented many times. I'm glad they made the fob - I just wish they charged for it. That's my main point. The card to my knowledge works all the time which is a "key". Why phone is not reliable is too many variables. Different firmware, hardware, software, middleware, patch levels, manufacturers, 3rd party licencors, endless potential for issues.

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte