Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

InsideEVs: Key Fob free to current owners!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great, those having issues (and those that aren't but prefer a key fob) can have one. I like using my phone and don't have issues, but if they're free for existing customers I will go ahead and get a couple as I think they'll be better to use for valet parking and loaning the car out etc...
I very much enjoy using my phone as a key. After awhile, I forget I ever need a key for anything. One less thing in my pocket, one less thing I need to remember to carry before leaving the house.
DU9woq5UMAAo9U-.jpg

I just want a fob for valets. The card business gets a lot of blank stares and “just park it right there” reactions.

I like the phone key for my own use. One less thing to schlep around.

For folks like you who want a fob for valets but don’t want to carry it around, would putting it in a signal-blocking “faraday bag” and locking that in the glove compartment be a good solution?

Or might that still be risky, given that a thief could plausibly break into your car and pry open the glove box? Would the car allow them to drive away once they got the fob out of the signal-blocking bag?

Hmmm. For those who have/had Tesla fobs before, how easy is it to "phantom" press the fob when it is in your pocket? I wear jeans most of the time and this has been a problem before with certain other fobs.

I like the phone key and it has worked perfectly for me 98% of the time (with the other 2% just taking an extra 10-20 seconds to figure out where it was,) but I've found it's quite annoying to have to undock my phone and take it with me in situations where I'm just getting out for a minute and would normally leave it in the (locked) car.

Unfortunately regardless of what Tesla does I still have to carry plenty of stuff around in my pockets, so a small key fob would be no added burden, as long as it isn't opening my trunk from my pocket every 5 minutes...

Reactions: gjunky
I actually love the phone over the keyfob (might still get one just to have with the car) because the keyfob is bulky in my pocket and the buttons on it get presses every so often (found our Model X with the FW doors open on more than one occasion).
Phone doesn't always work perfectly (I have to pull it out of my pocket and actually open the app every so often) but I still like it better.

Hmmm. For those who have/had Tesla fobs before, how easy is it to "phantom" press the fob when it is in your pocket? I wear jeans most of the time and this has been a problem before with certain other fobs.
Early on, I had a couple of issues. Once, I was in the house and on the floor, assembling IKEA furniture. I went out to the garage to grab something and found my hatch had opened. I must've sat just right to activate open the hatch with the fob. Another time, I was in the garage and my lights flashed as the car was unlocked. I realized I was on the other side of the garage and didn't have the fob with me. I ran inside and found the puppies had grabbed my key fob off the kitchen counter and were chasing each other around the house with it. Fortunately, I had enabled Require Continuous Press after the first incident and the puppies weren't able to summon the car before I got the key fob away from them.

I'm reasonable personally, but you count on bad behavior which is why free is such a horrible thing. Tesla should have charged -something-
The key fobs are something they should’ve included with the car in the first place so technically they’re not “free”. They include fobs for MS and MX and as far as I’m aware nearly every auto manufacturer includes key fobs with the purchase of the vehicle. Not everyone has a smartphone.

The key fobs are something they should’ve included with the car in the first place so technically they’re not “free”. They include fobs for MS and MX and as far as I’m aware nearly every auto manufacturer includes key fobs with the purchase of the vehicle. Not everyone has a smartphone.
You don't need a smartphone, you can just use the keycard.

Reactions: Pkmmte and MXWing
I actually love the phone over the keyfob (might still get one just to have with the car) because the keyfob is bulky in my pocket and the buttons on it get presses every so often (found our Model X with the FW doors open on more than one occasion).
Phone doesn't always work perfectly (I have to pull it out of my pocket and actually open the app every so often) but I still like it better.

F that Model X keyfob and jeans. Can’t count the number of times I nearly decapitated a family member or concuss them through blunt force trauma of the falcon wing doors coming down.

I’m conditioned to stop, drop and roll when I hear an unexpected beep.

You don't need a smartphone, you can just use the keycard.

The keycard is just as, if not more, fiddly for me than the smartphone. The car being in "deep sleep" mode doesn't help.

The Model 3 (no idea about the other Teslas) is just not for people who are in a rush often. I've never had a problem unlocking, jumping in, and driving away in any ICE car I've had. I've been stuck for up to 15-20 minutes with this car troubleshooting it and trying to get it to wake up so I can drive away.

I kinda like the cards. Different strokes for different folks I guess. All I know is that the cards will likely still function after a trip through the washing machine in my jeans. The FOBs probably wouldn't survive that...
The card solution is terrible for valets though. We already lost one and even when you have them, they’re confusing for people who aren’t used to driving the car. Before my wife actually lost hers, it kept getting temporarily lost in cracks and crevices of the car because she would forget to put it back in her wallet before she drove off.

• Informative
Reactions: omgwtfbyobbq
The card solution is terrible for valets though. We already lost one and even when you have them, they’re confusing for people who aren’t used to driving the car. Before my wife actually lost hers, it kept getting temporarily lost in cracks and crevices of the car because she would forget to put it back in her wallet before she drove off.

Just another reason amongst the 1982378192378912 others not to use valets :p

• Love
Reactions: Pkmmte
I hope there is a way to disable the key fob. We, pretty much exclusively, leave the key in our Ford vehicles and lock using the push button code. It would be VERY nice to be able to leave the physical key in the car for whatever case it may be wanted, yet have the ability to continue to use the phone as key used as deigned.

I would be careful with this method, if for no other reason than theft.

Much easier to get your car stolen if it has a key already inside it. Its also less risk for someone whop steals it, as the most you can charge them with is joyriding.

There may also be legal implications if they get in an accident and you did not keep control of your keys. Also would be very difficult to prove the car was not just "unlocked when we found it, with the keys inside!"

If you absolutely must do this, I'd recommend keep the fob in a faraday cage so its not read by the car regardless of bugs, updates ect.

I’m surprised so many people are in favor of a key fob. With my model 3, I now no longer carry keys anywhere. I use August smart locks at home / have a keypad for my garage. I keep my wife’s minivan key at home near the door for when I drive everyone around on the weekend. On the rare occasion we swap cars / kids - she just gives me her key temporarily. I love not having to carry keys around anymore.

I have a hidden backup key outside the house just in case but haven’t needed it yet.

I’m surprised so many people are in favor of a key fob. With my model 3, I now no longer carry keys anywhere. I use August smart locks at home / have a keypad for my garage. I keep my wife’s minivan key at home near the door for when I drive everyone around on the weekend. On the rare occasion we swap cars / kids - she just gives me her key temporarily. I love not having to carry keys around anymore.

I have a hidden backup key outside the house just in case but haven’t needed it yet.

As has been covered ad nauseam: It's fine when it works. When it doesn't work, which is too often, it's infuriating. Also, Summon with the app sucks, and opening the frunk with the app sucks.

I'll take mine and store it. I'll never use it. I have had 0 problems with my key cards and even when my phone won't open the door, all I do is just try it again. I don't even have to take my key card out. All I do is hold my wallet up and it works fine, or place it under the arm rest and move the car.