Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob is guzzling batteries AGAIN!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had this problem when I first got delivery of my X (12/16) but the fobs were updated with new firmware, new batteries were put in and all was OK. The problem has re-appeared one year later on one of the two key fobs. I have replaced 3 batteries so far and each time the battery voltage drops from above 3V (full) to around 1V overnight. Both fobs are kept together and are far away from the garage. Can a key fob revert to an older version of firmware on its own?

I had this problem when I first got delivery of my X (12/16) but the fobs were updated with new firmware, new batteries were put in and all was OK. The problem has re-appeared one year later on one of the two key fobs. I have replaced 3 batteries so far and each time the battery voltage drops from above 3V (full) to around 1V overnight. Both fobs are kept together and are far away from the garage. Can a key fob revert to an older version of firmware on its own?
It wouldn't be firmware on the FOB but the software from the car which would be a changing factor.

I have not had this issue repeat. I have an Altoid box that I put each one in tho and I carry 2 extra batteries in the glove compartment. I learned my lesson while traveling.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
My fob works okay, but I get the "Replace Battery" alert whenever the fob/battery temperature is below freezing. After being in my warm pocket for 4 minutes, the fob is warm enough that restarting the Model X avoids the "Replace Battery" alert.

Simple Solution:

Get an account at Batteries Plus (+) pay like $14 for the first battery and then they are free every time they need to be replaced after that...

i had an issue where my car wasn't noticing my fob unless i was really close (never got a change battery message) so i went to Batteries+ for a new battery and haven't had a problem since, (that was 8-9 months ago), and i know if i ever need another battery i just walk in and they look up my account and give a new battery :D

There is nothing wrong with your key fob. You just have a bad batch of batteries. They sit on a grocery store or warehouse shelf for years.

Get your batteries from another source.

I had the exact same problem. Good luck!

I ordered the batteries from Amazon. I did check the batteries each time and they showed over 3 Volts before I put them in the key fob but it's still possible that they were duds. It might be worth ordering another batch.

I ordered the batteries from Amazon. I did check the batteries each time and they showed over 3 Volts before I put them in the key fob but it's still possible that they were duds. It might be worth ordering another batch.
I had a problem recently with a set of batteries (energizer) that we bought for a medical device. They worked OK initially but then 'died' much sooner than others we had. I wonder if sometimes batteries get shipped or stored in something like 'excessive' heat and shorten their life (premature chemistry reaction).