Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My Tesla Model X (2019) key fobs stopped working. Car recognizes fobs (i.e. when going closer to the car, lights turn on) but does not unlock. If I unlock from phone, dashboard says key fob not inside the car. Tried both fobs. Replaced batteries. Multimeter shows old batteries had 2.7v new ones 3.24v multimeter reading.

This started yesterday (Sunday evening). Earlier in the day, I let the car install new Software Update 2023.7.10. Made a errands trip and parked at home - made two stops with car locking and unlocking normally. Around 4:25 I was walking by the car with the fob in my pocket and the driver door opened (normal operation). But then twenty minutes later I got into the car to move it to put it in for charging. Dashboard says Key not in car. Same thing with the 2nd fob. Replaced with brand new batteries. Still same.

I have read other posts/suggestions from web, with no luck.

Opened a Service request. Initially it said Mobile Service, but has since changed to service center visit.

Any help?

Thank You

Update: It turned out to be incomplete download/installation of the recent update (2023.7.10)

"Key fob not inside car" was one of the symptoms. The Tech (over the weekend via Service Message) suggested I use phone app (Controls --> Start). Doing so Car would turn on but would not shift into D or R and would stay put in P. I told the tech repeatedly that it could be a Software issue and asked him to initiate another push. But he would not and asked me to get it towed.

This morning I went to the Service Center. They said they would run vehicle diagnostics. I again requested a software update. They did both and seems like it has resolved (need to pick up car).