Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I took delivery of my X last week. Love it but my key fobs don't work. It's like they are not sync'd to the car. When I press the button though, the headlights flash. I can open the trunk/frunk with the fob but that's it. I have to use the app for everything else. It also occasionally does the walk up unlock. It's not always though.

Is the key fob the only way into an x? Is there a phone option like the Y?

Yes. You can unlock the car, and even drive using only the app. But it is not exactly like the 3/Y. The 3 and Y use Bluetooth, where the S and X requires a cellular or WiFi connection. Although you can set up FaceID to unlock and enter the car, you have to enter your Tesla account password to drive. Unlike the 3 and Y, using your smartphone is not intended to be the primary means to access the S or X.

I learned this the hard way. Took my model S up a mountain canyon to a nice lake using my phone as the key to start it from my house. Then I didn't have cell service so when I wanted to start my car to leave the lake, I couldn't do anything so I ended up thumbing a ride back to town to grab my key and a spare car and my GF and I drove back separately. Thank goodness for the kindness of strangers to give me a lift!