Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob left in car: Locking with app doesn't lock!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Earlier this week, I parked up, walked about half a mile from my MS & then realised I'd left the key fob in the cup holder!

So, I used the app to lock the car & enable Valet mode. As soon as I could, I returned to my car, touched the handle & opened the car.

Why doesn't the app disable (or give you the option to disable) the door handles/car starting without unlocking with another key fob or the app again?

Reactions: redy and P100DHG.
I had the same shocked feeling the first time I forgot the fob and was in a restaurant. I could see the car out the window and locked it with the phone. I felt impressed to see the side view mirrors retract and everything, only to find the car opened right back up when my kids went and pushed on the handle. Why????

I can assume the car thinks that someone is still in the car and won't lock. Or it's a bug. Take your pick. Obviously why the SC puts your fob in the dead zone (for an X, I believe the S doesn't have one?) and then software locks the car for you retrieve by app.

Perhaps this is part of anti-hacking. If an active fob is in the car, the app can't override.