TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Key fob left in car: Locking with app doesn't lock!

Discussion in 'Model S' started by nkightley, Jul 22, 2017.

Tags:
  1. nkightley

nkightley Member

Earlier this week, I parked up, walked about half a mile from my MS & then realised I'd left the key fob in the cup holder!

So, I used the app to lock the car & enable Valet mode. As soon as I could, I returned to my car, touched the handle & opened the car.

Why doesn't the app disable (or give you the option to disable) the door handles/car starting without unlocking with another key fob or the app again?

• Like x 2
  2. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

Hmm that would make sleeping inside the car kinda suck as anyone can walk up to it and open the door

3. RYCO

RYCO Member

Just remove the battery from the fob. Well for sleeping anyway, the other scenario, you're just screwed.

4. agtdDelirium

agtdDelirium Member

I had the same shocked feeling the first time I forgot the fob and was in a restaurant. I could see the car out the window and locked it with the phone. I felt impressed to see the side view mirrors retract and everything, only to find the car opened right back up when my kids went and pushed on the handle. Why????

5. kev1n

kev1n Member

if you get in the car and lock it from the screen, the door handles will not present

• Like x 3
    • Informative x 1
  6. azred

azred Member

Sad. I knew buying my S put a bit of a strain on my cash on hand, but never realized it even caused some of you to become homeless.

• Funny x 2
  7. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

I can assume the car thinks that someone is still in the car and won't lock. Or it's a bug. Take your pick. Obviously why the SC puts your fob in the dead zone (for an X, I believe the S doesn't have one?) and then software locks the car for you retrieve by app.

Perhaps this is part of anti-hacking. If an active fob is in the car, the app can't override.

8. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

If you put your fob in the cupholder, and lock from the CID, the car WILL stay locked. So this is just crappy software that makes remote lock useless.