Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob locked in car - I thought this was not possible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Here’s my solution in this situation (I had also locked my phone in the car with the fob).

Borrow someone’s phone, download the Tesla app, log in with your credentials, open the car, and delete the app from that someone’s phone once you’re in the car. Simple, fast, and works like a charm, unless you’re in a place where there are no people with a smartphone or there’s no one who’ll lend you their phone, which is highly unlikely.

I was in a coffee shop with this happened and one of the baristas lent me her phone. She was without it for five minutes.

Was she cute? I will remember to do that.

Here’s my solution in this situation (I had also locked my phone in the car with the fob).

Borrow someone’s phone, download the Tesla app, log in with your credentials, open the car, and delete the app from that someone’s phone once you’re in the car. Simple, fast, and works like a charm, unless you’re in a place where there are no people with a smartphone or there’s no one who’ll lend you their phone, which is highly unlikely.

I was in a coffee shop with this happened and one of the baristas lent me her phone. She was without it for five minutes.

• Funny
Reactions: Hugh Mannity
Unfortunately the only garunteed way to avoid this is to turn off walk away lock. I did that on my S, as I often left my purse with the fob on the passenger seat while getting the mail. The fob was in close proximity to my phone in the purse, so I didn’t want to chance the car locking me out accidentally.

Not a huge deal with the fob to lock the car every time and walk up unlock still worked. I am using walk away lock on the 3 since I don’t have a fob, so we will see if it ends up having this problem too.

They pry open the front side window slightly, then they slip a thin, inflatable bag in the area opened between the window itself and the window post of the car. Then that bag is inflated slightly to give them access to slip in a long curvey rod to manually unlock the door from inside. Literally took less than 45 seconds.

That's how AAA break into our X5 too to get to the keyfob inside the car too years ago. It is very easy to lock your keyfob inside the car too with the X5. You get out and lock the car, then you remember you have something in the trunk. Use the keyfob to open the trunk, then you need 2 hands to grab the bag and you put down the keys on the floor of the trunk. Push the button on the lid to close the trunk, hear the beep and "@$#@@$".