Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob Low Battery Alert Won't Reset

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently got an alert that the battery in the key fob was low and needed changing. I tried the 2nd key fob and got the same message, so I changed out the battery, still getting the same alert. I tried rebooting, but the alert is still there. I have not called the SC and have been using the key fob with the new battery and all is good....for now. Does anyone know how to reset the alert? My wife is a little skittish about driving with the low battery message on the screen.

Mine is doing the same thing. Even with a new battery. Might be RF interference from the phone or something els.
I recently got an alert that the battery in the key fob was low and needed changing. I tried the 2nd key fob and got the same message, so I changed out the battery, still getting the same alert. I tried rebooting, but the alert is still there. I have not called the SC and have been using the key fob with the new battery and all is good....for now. Does anyone know how to reset the alert? My wife is a little skittish about driving with the low battery message on the screen.

I remember mine was a little funky with the low bat warning also. I think I had to show the car both keys after I replaced the batteries until the car would accept that they were fine. Meaning that after I got the low bat, using the second fob with a good bat wouldn't clear the alarm. I had to also show the car the first fob (with new bat) before it cleared.

Sorry to revive an old thread, but I'm currently experiencing the same issue. I replaced the key fob battery 2 days ago, and the message remains on the screen. Not to mention that for the second time in 2 weeks, the main screen seems to go out and completely reset itself like it's booting up again. This has happened while actually operating the vehicle...

• Helpful
Reactions: Algoritmus
I had the same issue couple of weeks ago with both key fobs. Paid a visit to my SC, got the battery replaced in my regular key fob, got the latest firmware upgrade and haven't had the problem since, even with the second fob with old battery.
I'm going to a SC tomorrow. I don't like the fact I can't even use autopark which makes no sense. I can understand summon a bit more. We tried three batteries.

Saw the article on Teslarati that more or less said the same thing. Show the car both fobs and replace both batteries and reboot the MCU. Car is eight months old and neither fob is kept near the car. Batteries sure don’t last long! Replaced both, still have the message. Rebooted after each one. Rebooted binnacle/IC also, for good measure. Waiting a while now to see if this clears, but WTF Tesla, as others have said.

If we were on a trip, why would I have to remember to take spare batteries or the other fob? :D

So, just talked to Tesla Support (suspect my call to Tysons rolled to central after 6 pm ET) and it turned out there is something they call the ‘immobilizer’ which sounds like a stop stick or something. :D The description I got was the fobs didn’t get reset on board correctly when the new batteries were inserted. They work and all but there’s a piece of ‘hardware ID’ that the car thinks doesn’t match so that’s why the ‘still need to replace the batteries’ message. I need to stop by Tysons tomorrow and I don’t even need an appointment, one of the few walk-in things they accept, it looks like.

This may be why they do the battery swaps at annual service. Maybe I’ll ask WTF the immobilizer really is, because that’s not what it does.

Our Primary Key Fob (this one for me, with the one programmed for my wife is secondary) got the message after about 5 or 6 months. I had a spare battery from when I bought a set for our Leaf FOB which lasted over three years on original battery. I kept the spare battery in the Tesla just in case and kept using the fob.

A few weeks ago I decided to go ahead and change the battery so did it while sitting in the driver's seat. As soon as the new battery was replaced the message went away. Maybe that happened because I was in the car when I did the replacement??? Who knows?

I noticed my key fob hasnt been catching lately so I think its time to change my batteries.
I happen to see this thread today while in the process of purchasing new batteries.

Just my $0.02
Dont buy the batteries you see sold by third parties on amazon or ebay. Either they are fake or old stock. Im sure some sellers sell legit new stock but who knows!

Amazon currently has a 6 pack of energizer cr2032 for about $5 ( i think this is the battery. Havnt checked but I watched a few youtube videos)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002RID4G/

Make sure to buy the one that is only sold by amazon. You can also go to your local walmart or home depot. They do stock these

They also aren’t 2032 anymore, at least for the X. They are thicker ‘two tier’ looking ones. Don’t have them in front of me but bought a five pack off Amazon and the qualify seem fine. Reviews are a good way to see what you are getting and you can tell if the reviews are real by reading them.

Should be interesting what they tell me tomorrow!

Last edited: