Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob low battery warning?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there a warning when the key fob battery is getting low? I know my battery has been changed at least once or twice at a service center, but don't know when the last one was. Yesterday I left to go to the store and had no problems with it unlocking the car and starting. I got to the store, went inside and got some groceries, came back out with my hands full and the car wouldn't unlock. I had to use my phone to unlock the car and when I tried to start it the message "No Key" came up. So I used my phone again to start it. Thank goodness for this. I was really surprised there was no pre-emptive warning. Got home and tested my wife's fob and it works fine. I know it isn't because buttons were pushed in my pocket as it actually is in a holder on my belt loop not in my pocket. I ordered two batteries, one to keep in the glove box.

Now that I write this, it seems there is something I read which I will go try now. Something about placing the key somewhere near the driver's side windshield and also something about a place inside the car, maybe a cup holder, to place the key where it will unlock the car and start the car when the battery is dead. I will update after my tests.

It is REALLY easy to change the battery. Pop out the button battery from the fob and put in a new one. You may need to order battery from Amazon, but they are super cheap

this above! Same thing happened to me last week and I swapped out the battery within a minute. Your want a CR2354. I went with a Panasonic replacement via Amazon Prime.

I know it's easy to change. Just thought I would get some warning. I tried starting with the fob in the cup holder and by the accessory plug underneath as the manual stated and neither worked. Replacement battery will be here tomorrow. I am hoping it is the battery and not the fob since it didn't work where the manual says it should have. Manual also said if it doesn't work then remove the battery and try again. I will wait for when I open it to try that. Thanks for all the info provided.

I just got the low fob battery warning this week and changed the battery. So yes, there is a warning. Last summer I also had a few instances of getting the no key in the car warning, despite there being a key and I was currently driving based on its presence when I got in the car. I did not change the fob battery at that time, and no idea what caused that notification. I tended to assume it’s just one of the pranks my car plays on me at times.

Just posting for other people's reference if they had the same issue as I did.

My car told me that my key fob battery was low as well. Changed the battery but the car will not detect the key (except to open the door and drive the car). The key will not open any of the doors and etc. - even after putting the old battery back.

Took to Tesla Service Center, they are sending out a mobile tech because they'll have to reprogram both of the car keys to the car together. They can not do it individually because the other key will lose its connection.

• Informative
Reactions: rlpvl
Is there a warning when the key fob battery is getting low? I know my battery has been changed at least once or twice at a service center, but don't know when the last one was. Yesterday I left to go to the store and had no problems with it unlocking the car and starting. I got to the store, went inside and got some groceries, came back out with my hands full and the car wouldn't unlock. I had to use my phone to unlock the car and when I tried to start it the message "No Key" came up. So I used my phone again to start it. Thank goodness for this. I was really surprised there was no pre-emptive warning. Got home and tested my wife's fob and it works fine. I know it isn't because buttons were pushed in my pocket as it actually is in a holder on my belt loop not in my pocket. I ordered two batteries, one to keep in the glove box.

Now that I write this, it seems there is something I read which I will go try now. Something about placing the key somewhere near the driver's side windshield and also something about a place inside the car, maybe a cup holder, to place the key where it will unlock the car and start the car when the battery is dead. I will update after my tests.
Did you have your fob in the same pocket as your smartphone? Smartphones block fob signals. Nothing new. Most people learn it the hard way.

First time...about 1 1/2 years into owning the car...got a warning. Second time (only about 6 months on the replacement battery), no warning at all. FOB stopped working. Completely. Thankfully, the phone was not in the car so I was able to open/keyless drive and I had a spare battery at home. Suggestion: have a spare or two. No telling when the FOB is going to die...