Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob - not available in NZ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two questions..

1) How do you set this up?
2) Why wouldn't you just use bluetooth since every smartphone has bluetooth?
No setup.... condition is your tesla app set as key...
Tesla app many time doesn't automatically open doors, specifically if you lock/unlock car remotely, next time chances ot doesn't open via Bluetooth proximity... second scenario when non-key mobile connected to car before locking...

I was caught out few time, ended up using my ring to open door.

Ditto, Bluetooth always works if the phone is awake and the tesla app running.

Tested the NFC thing, and it requires you have the Tesla app open on screen. Guess it might have uses if you were going to park in a particularly dodgy neighbourhood and wanted no possibility of the car unlocking until you were right at the drivers door.

• Funny
Reactions: Audietron
Ditto, Bluetooth always works if the phone is awake and the tesla app running.

Tested the NFC thing, and it requires you have the Tesla app open on screen. Guess it might have uses if you were going to park in a particularly dodgy neighbourhood and wanted no possibility of the car unlocking until you were right at the drivers door.
In dodgy neighborhood you don't want car door to open at all 🤪😂

My android phone sometimes doesn't work without fiddling. (open app, enable / disable Bluetooth etc). I think often the problem is that the app needs to be updated, somehow it doesn't automatically update in the same way as all the other apps and needs manual updating. I have considered the fob but it's never (quite) got that annoying.

I noticed that android mobile phones with latest updates, rremoves specific access when not used for 24 hours or more, like nearby devices detection... this internet fails to open car when approaching...

I found that if you go to Tesla mobile app permissions and disable auto remove access option, it fixes the car unlocking issue altogether.

• Informative
Reactions: Ecoli
I noticed that android mobile phones with latest updates, rremoves specific access when not used for 24 hours or more, like nearby devices detection... this internet fails to open car when approaching...

I found that if you go to Tesla mobile app permissions and disable auto remove access option, it fixes the car unlocking issue altogether.
updated to android 13 on the 4th Dec I think, no issues so far
phone is Samsung