Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob not detected?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've recently come across an issue with my 2016 MX. The fob works for everything - auto present, doors, etc - but once I get in, the car won't drive because it says it can't detect fob. It takes like 30 seconds of my fiddling (clicking on the fob repeatedly) and it has ended up working but I would totally be at a loss if the car wouldn't "wake up" and recognize the fob. I replaced the battery probably like a year ago and so I feel like it's more of a software issue (?). Today was exceptionally annoying as I was in a parking lot and someone was waiting for me to leave and of course I'm sitting there trying to get the car to "wake up"...

Anyone else having this issue?

I've recently come across an issue with my 2016 MX. The fob works for everything - auto present, doors, etc - but once I get in, the car won't drive because it says it can't detect fob. It takes like 30 seconds of my fiddling (clicking on the fob repeatedly) and it has ended up working but I would totally be at a loss if the car wouldn't "wake up" and recognize the fob. I replaced the battery probably like a year ago and so I feel like it's more of a software issue (?). Today was exceptionally annoying as I was in a parking lot and someone was waiting for me to leave and of course I'm sitting there trying to get the car to "wake up"...

Anyone else having this issue?
If it was me, I'd take the battery out and test its voltage level. I try to clean the contacts and battery surfaces before I put them back in. I always carry extras in my glovebox now after an issue on a road trip (odd shape battery not carried at normal places).

You likely have a new fob or one that had the firmware uploaded back in mid-late 2016 that caused it to eat batteries (? -- I think it stayed connected to the car depending on where you stored your fob and how near to your garage).

Have you tried the below to see if it is immediate?

8UT6KUX.jpg

Reactions: Bigriver
If it was me, I'd take the battery out and test its voltage level. I try to clean the contacts and battery surfaces before I put them back in. I always carry extras in my glovebox now after an issue on a road trip (odd shape battery not carried at normal places).

You likely have a new fob or one that had the firmware uploaded back in mid-late 2016 that caused it to eat batteries (? -- I think it stayed connected to the car depending on where you stored your fob and how near to your garage).

Have you tried the below to see if it is immediate?

8UT6KUX.jpg
That's interesting - haven't needed that but will keep that in mind. My situation is the fob works for unlocking and opening doors but then fails to detect when I get in the car. I'll test the battery - great suggestion.

Hi - found this thread looking for help with our current situation - Our Model X is stuck in our garage because it's no longer recognizing either of our 2 key fobs (not a battery problem - we checked) and we also can't start it using the app. When we press the start icon in the app (as shown by Bigriver, above) it sometimes starts counting down time as expected, but then stops after a few seconds; other times there is no response. Can unlock the car with the app but not the keys. Have tried 2-button and power off shutdowns/reboots, but to no avail. Considering disconnecting the 12V battery but just out of desperation since I've found no indication that this will fix the problem. Tesla service says it has to be towed (at our expense - out of warranty 😭) to be fixed but this clearly seems like a software issue. Any suggestions? This happened over a week after the last software update and there were no obvious triggers. Any suggestions???

Can unlock the car with the app but not the keys. Have tried 2-button and power off shutdowns/reboots, but to no avail. Considering disconnecting the 12V battery but just out of desperation since I've found no indication that this will fix the problem.
So you just can't put the car in (D)rive or (R)everse and otherwise it 'starts'? ie. you can reboot it using two roller barrels.

Have you tried putting the fob below the 12v power outlet?

Have you tried the tire configuration change/change_back "reboot"? (it restarts more 'subsystems' than the other methods it seems).

I'd disconnect the 12v. 1&2 then wait 5 minutes and then do 5&6

Take out
1) disconnect 12v ground (-)
2) disconnect first responder loop
3) disconnect 12 positive (+)

Put in
4) Connect 12 positive (+)
5) Connect first responder loop
6) Connect 12v ground (-)

One of the two key fobs on our new X did not work. I finally had it where the car would detect it, but only in an exact position on the phone charging pad. Even put a new battery in to make sure that wasn't the cause. Took it in for service and the technicians played with it for awhile, but gave up and just provided a new fob.

My understanding is that there have been some firmware updates to the key fobs.

Hi - found this thread looking for help with our current situation - Our Model X is stuck in our garage because it's no longer recognizing either of our 2 key fobs (not a battery problem - we checked) and we also can't start it using the app. When we press the start icon in the app (as shown by Bigriver, above) it sometimes starts counting down time as expected, but then stops after a few seconds; other times there is no response. Can unlock the car with the app but not the keys. Have tried 2-button and power off shutdowns/reboots, but to no avail. Considering disconnecting the 12V battery but just out of desperation since I've found no indication that this will fix the problem. Tesla service says it has to be towed (at our expense - out of warranty 😭) to be fixed but this clearly seems like a software issue. Any suggestions? This happened over a week after the last software update and there were no obvious triggers. Any suggestions???
I have the same issue now !!! How did u solve the problem