Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob opinions

What options do you like the most? (Select all the options you like)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey y’all, I’m trying to decide whether or not to buy the key fob for the Y. How do you like yours and would you buy it again if you had the choice? For people who just use there phones, how effective are they as long as they aren’t dead? Thanks!

I have never considered buying the key fob. In case the phone really fails, I always carry a key card, and I never leave key card or phone in the car.

It has never failed though. Occasionally it does fail temporarily, but can always be made to function through one of the following methods:
  1. [Android] Switch Aeroplane mode on, wait a second, switch it off again.
  2. Use the phone like the key card, i.e. hold the phone flat against the B-column just under the side camera and, if still needed, put it down between the center cup holders and the center armrest to enable driving.
For the latter method NFC has to be enabled. For both methods the app has to be available in the background, so do your best to prevent background app killing, for which some phone manufacturers are notorious.

I like that we have all three options.

Phone as key is what I use 99% of the time. It works great. And I almost never go anywhere without my phone anyway, so by combining key with phone it's one less item I have to remember to bring with me.

The big problem with the phone is that phone batteries don't last very long so you're at risk of getting locked out of your car if your phone battery dies. And that's where the key card comes in. I would not want to use the key card everyday, but it is a great backup. It is easy to keep one in your wallet so you'll never get locked out (unless you happen to you lose your wallet on the same day your phone battery dies).

The FOB is a nice compromise between phone and key card. Just as easy to use as phone, but no risk getting stuck because of a dead battery. The only downside is that it's another thing you have to keep in your pocket/purse. But if you are willing to leave your phone behind the FOB takes up less space than a phone.

The FOB can also do something that you can't do with your phone. Open the front trunk. Yes you could unlock your phone, open the app, and find the front trunk button, and then click confirm when it says are you sure. But that takes forever - it's easier to just open the door and touch the button on the screen. If you have the fob, all you have to do is click the frunk button.

Last edited:
I bought the key fob because I was used to having a key all my life. But, after 5 months...I have never used the key Fob. And I don’t want to, either. I just walk-up to my car and pull on the door handle. My phone works every time.

remember, the key fob does not have a key ring. Nor can you place one on it. There is no hole to do so. So, you can’t attach your house key to it. So, it is basically a little Hot Wheels/Matchbox car in your pocket.

I bought the key fob because I was used to having a key all my life. But, after 5 months...I have never used the key Fob. And I don’t want to, either. I just walk-up to my car and pull on the door handle. My phone works every time.

remember, the key fob does not have a key ring. Nor can you place one on it. There is no hole to do so. So, you can’t attach your house key to it. So, it is basically a little Hot Wheels/Matchbox car in your pocket.
Actually, Amazon sells a MY key fob holder that protects the fob nicely and tethers it to a key ring. It seems to be made of aluminum, doesnt look too bad, and is under $20.00. As I approach my car, I just push the roof of the fob twice and never have to wonder if the phone app has gone to sleep.

Attachments

• 20201025_164335.jpg
    20201025_164335.jpg
    239.3 KB · Views: 99
Does anyone know if there is a card key option that will unlock the doors but not allow the car to be driven (Not quite a valet key)?
I would like this functionality for my grandson when we go skiing. Be able to go back to the car to get something or warm up, but not risk him being able to drive it.

Does anyone know if there is a card key option that will unlock the doors but not allow the car to be driven (Not quite a valet key)?
I would like this functionality for my grandson when we go skiing. Be able to go back to the car to get something or warm up, but not risk him being able to drive it.
You can enable the pin to drive feature and then don't tell your grandson the pin.

He can unlock the doors using card/fob/phone, and as long as he doesn't guess the pin he won't be able to drive.

I hate bulky keys personally, no need for a fob. Phone as key is great, card as a backup in my wallet. App has had issues a couple times but mostly just annoying. I’ve toured with the idea of pairing the car with an NFC ring then I just need to wave my hand on the car.

Reactions: Yelobird
I hate bulky keys personally, no need for a fob. Phone as key is great, card as a backup in my wallet. App has had issues a couple times but mostly just annoying. I’ve toured with the idea of pairing the car with an NFC ring then I just need to wave my hand on the car.

I am seriously thinking of the NFC ring. So I can disable Bluetooth and keep my phone/wallet in the Y when I go kitesurfing.

The FOB can also do something that you can't do with your phone. Open the front trunk. Yes you could unlock your phone, open the app, and find the front trunk button, and then click confirm when it says are you sure. But that takes forever - it's easier to just open the door and touch the button on the screen. If you have the fob, all you have to do is click the frunk button.

There is at least a slightly faster way to open the trunk with your phone. Pull down the notifications, pull down the Tesla notification (you may need to use two fingers near the bottom of the notification), and tap the FRONT TRUNK link. The frunk opens instantly. No confirmation required.

This still does not beat the fob, but it comes a little closer.

Reactions: sleepies