Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob opinions

What options do you like the most? (Select all the options you like)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Definitely love using the phone as key. Haven't considered the key fob because the phone has always worked for me, and I know if it ever doesn't I can use the card which is in my wallet which I always carry anyway.

One less thing to lose and have to tear around looking for when I need to go somewhere. I've gotten pretty good at using the phone to open the trunk or frunk one handed if other hand is carrying something.

Wife uses her phone as key too and no issues switching back and forth or having both phones in the car at same time. It just works.

I was skeptical of the Phone Key but it just works, you don't have to take it out of your pocket, open an app, etc., super convenient. Only real loss compared to a tradition keyfob is with opening the trunk, that's less convenient (but could easily be solved with a kick to open feature) or probably with the camera (e.g. if you approach the car and wave at the rear camera it opens).

I was planning to get a keyfob before we took delivery. However, after using the Phone Key with Key Card as a backup in the wallet, I don't think I want to carry another fob. I don't use frunk much but it can come in handy to open the trunk for loading groceries. I may add that foot-activated sensor for the trunk which should take care of that as well.

My wife doesn't trust that walkaway auto-lock so he pulls her phone out to use the app to lock the car each time. I may get an app for her Apple Watch to make this easier.

Note: If the keyfob allowed touch to lock like it is there in all cars these days, I would have gotten it.

Reactions: RNHurt
We have fobs for both MY's. They work great. Just walk up and the car is unlocked. Walk away and the car locks. I know that the phone key does that, too but every now and again, it doesn't work. The fob ALWAYS works.

And when I go running, I leave my phone in the car. If I had the phone key, I would have to remember to shut my phone off beforehand. I just stick the fob in my pocket and off I go. The fob makes life easy for us.

Before I received the car I was going to get the fob - after all im used to the fob with other cars. My son has a model 3 and said not to do it - and that I will quickly learn how unnecessary it is. I received the car and realized it is totally unnecessary as I always have my phone. One thing I had to fix was - I don't carry a wallet - I have a habit of using Apple Pay or other electronic means - I carry my license and health insurance card -- but always forget my backup card key. For that - I purchased one of the Tesla rings - and I wear the ring. I personally do not like carrying anything - with covid im not traveling for work - and Im not in a suit every day so I just have my phone in pocket and my ring and im good to go. Fob is nice looking but $$$ - I find the ring to be slick - $100.

I recently bought the key fob. Too many times I would walk up to the car with my phone only to pull on the door handle and find it locked. Then pulling out my phone to open the app and tapping unlock. Very frustrating.

I also like that I can now lock my phone in my car when I have to run a quick errand.

Ive had a MY for 2 months and loved being key free and just using my phone until it started being more of a pain than a convenience. For me anyways.

I recently bought the key fob. Too many times I would walk up to the car with my phone only to pull on the door handle and find it locked. Then pulling out my phone to open the app and tapping unlock. Very frustrating.

I also like that I can now lock my phone in my car when I have to run a quick errand.

Ive had a MY for 2 months and loved being key free and just using my phone until it started being more of a pain than a convenience. For me anyways.
There's something wrong with your phone and/or phone settings. I've never had to turn on my phone screen or open the app to get the car to unlock.

Can't I just install an Amazon Echo? "Alexa, open the trunk"[/QUOTE

I have the tesla skill on my alexa but it doesn't work very well.

As for the fob.

When I bought my 2015 Outback, I would only buy a trim level with a physical key. It appears I've gone completely to the dark side. I would have guaranteed that I would buy a fob before I actually had my MY. But when I got it, I figured I'd give the phone a try. Now the only reason to take it out of my pocket is that I want it on the charger. Like others I carry the key card in my wallet. My phone has always worked.

I've always bought spare keys with a new car. And the MY is no exception. So soon after getting my MY, I ordered a spare set of key cards. Lots cheaper than the fob.

There's something wrong with your phone and/or phone settings. I've never had to turn on my phone screen or open the app to get the car to unlock.

I was thinking the same thing. My phone has never had 1 issue with opening my door, or turning on the car. I am sure it has the potential to happen sporadically, but not routinely. Why carry a little Matchbox fob in your pant pocket for that 1 time event? Worst case scenario is....you open the Tesla app and unlock your doors. Takes less than 10 seconds.

Reactions: iamnid
I was thinking the same thing. My phone has never had 1 issue with opening my door, or turning on the car. I am sure it has the potential to happen sporadically, but not routinely. Why carry a little Matchbox fob in your pant pocket for that 1 time event? Worst case scenario is....you open the Tesla app and unlock your doors. Takes less than 10 seconds.
and if that doesn't work, pull out the card.

Reactions: hgmichna

I am in and out of my car all day long for quick spurts to make deliveries. So when I walk away I have the car set to lock and when I return within a minute or two I pull on the handle and its locked. Sometimes I just give it a second and the car will realize Im standing by the car and it unlocks. Its basically that on the return to the car I beat the car to the task of unlocking.

For most people that walk a little slower or do not have as much turnaround time as I do I can see it not ever being a problem.