Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob or not ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Aren’t the FOB’s easier, much easier to hack than the phone or even cards?

ESP it yoy leave them near the car, say front door, while car is parked outside.

Can’t say how often it actually happens but isn’t once enough.

Besides at least for me I don’t want one more thing in my pocket. Phone is always with me; card is in wallet as a backup.

I thought with proper and cheap equipment you could virtually connect the fob inside and the car outside. This lets you open the car and drive it away; unless you have pin to drive active, which it seems most of us don’t. But I don’t use a fob and my car is always kept in a private garage and even still locked (but not armed - sentry) inside. But I do have numerious cameras, security lights, sensors, and alarms for the property and inside the garage.

I use a fob because I was used to using one with my Volvo that I traded in for a Model 3.
Because I have a house key bunch it was handy to add the fob to that - I fitted the fob into a rubber "sock" with the buttons marked out on it.
At £140 a pop they're not cheap but way cheaper than other vehicle fobs cost.
As a precaution I keep my fob (with the house keys) in a Faraday box at home.
When I'm out visiting I have a Faraday pouch that takes the fob and the house keys - for when the car is parked "uncomfortably close" to me.
It's very useful for unlocking a non-Tesla charge cable.
Works just like a phone - if it's with you (in your pocket) it can stay there when you walk up to the door and open it and drive away (PIN permitting)
If it's battery dies you simply hold it's "bottom" against the B pillar to unlock the car and place by the cupholders to drive (same as key card)
It has a boot and bonnet open buttons and works my Hansshow boot lid motor to open and close. My bonnet flies open on its own when opened!
It was and is worth it to me. :)

Reactions: T3SSY
I thought with proper and cheap equipment you could virtually connect the fob inside and the car outside. This lets you open the car and drive it away; unless you have pin to drive active, which it seems most of us don’t. But I don’t use a fob and my car is always kept in a private garage and even still locked (but not armed - sentry) inside. But I do have numerious cameras, security lights, sensors, and alarms for the property and inside the garage.
No, this is not the case with the Model 3 or Y, it was the case with some older Model S that used a different key mechanism.

The Keyfob for the 3 or Y connects in the same way as the phone, over bluetooth. The risk that the keyfob could be relayed with appropriate equipment is lower than a phone as it stops transmitting when it's left still for 5 minutes, the phone does not. It's not impossible to do for either, someone demonstrated doing it a few months back, but it is different to the technology used to relay other car keys.

The Tesla key is at least as secure as using the phone key, if not more secure. Add pin to drive, home security cameras and you're as safe as is reasonable, and insurance covers the risk.

Reactions: Ricecooker
Agreed, I don't carry a wallet, but do carry house keys, so phone + keyfob makes more sense than carrying the phone + keycard.

I'm not confident that my phone won't be lost/broken/stolen.
There is also another solution... :D

• Funny
Reactions: Krokkodillo
You can always make your own like I did. Costs less than a tenner and took about an hour.

Edit - If you just want the buttons on it then obviously its not the same. Mine is purely a backup for the phone key.

Last edited: