Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob or not ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C'mon, starting to be an extraordinary stretch. So you ask your Samaritan to stay there while you fiddle to enter their wifi password into your watch, while also hoping that the car has signal as this all relies on a data connection. Doesn't seem to be a very robust plan.
Less than a minute... obviously more for the uneducated but it still works... You best start building a bunker 😆

Ok. I now know where someone else got the uwb from :) ..... Im not dicing what you are saying but you do realise what gen btooth we are on now right? ... I will throw dice and say its less power than to invoke/transmit the nfc signal?... and again, you would only use it if the btooth failed with is unlikely unless you want to go down the road of considering all options...
Unfortunately the pure tech specs of the protocol are irrelevant. I’m talking about the Apple implementation of it. iPhones have Power Reseve mode that transmits NFC keys even if the battery has died (for up to 10 hours if I recall). They don’t do it for Bluetooth signal.

Maybe if you convince Tim Cook then we won’t need the feature…

Unfortunately the pure tech specs of the protocol are irrelevant. I’m talking about the Apple implementation of it. iPhones have Power Reseve mode that transmits NFC keys even if the battery has died (for up to 10 hours if I recall). They don’t do it for Bluetooth signal.

So... Shall we say its down to apple? Dont get me wrong. Im well into the apple thing...the world revolves around them and not vice versa hence it being a closed system.

So... Shall we say its down to apple? Dont get me wrong. Im well into the apple thing...the world revolves around them and not vice versa hence it being a closed system.
I would use the path of least resistance:

Tesla can simply register for an iOS NFC developer certificate and the feature would be available to all Tesla owners in a matter of weeks…. (By the way Android users already have NFC keycard emulation on their Tesla app)
Rather than Apple having to create a Power Reserve mode for Bluetooth pairings that would only benefit a very small number of Tesla owners (I cannot think of any other use case for maintaining multiple BLE beacons on a dead battery), which would be a major version number (so at least iOS17 in Fall 2023). And chances of that happening anyway are about the same as Elon delivering Robotaxi by year end….

So no, definitely down to Tesla and not Apple as far as I’m concerned.

And Tesla is as much a closed system as Apple (e.g: the ego battle for not acing Android Auto or CarPlay while their infotainment is starting to show its age)

Why do you need Power Reserve for BT? NFC will be just fine - it's ridiculous Tesla allow you to use Android NFC to lock and unlock the car just like the card key but refuse to do the same for iPhones.

The pettiness from Tesla is a joke.

Reactions: Somex and WllXM
Why do you need Power Reserve for BT? NFC will be just fine - it's ridiculous Tesla allow you to use Android NFC to lock and unlock the car just like the card key but refuse to do the same for iPhones.

The pettiness from Tesla is a joke.
It is not just pettiness, Apple asks Tesla to share their software details which I do not think is fair - they are more or less equal in this partnership. And we all know about Elon vs Tim fights!

I would use the path of least resistance:

Tesla can simply register for an iOS NFC developer certificate and the feature would be available to all Tesla owners in a matter of weeks…. (By the way Android users already have NFC keycard emulation on their Tesla app)
Rather than Apple having to create a Power Reserve mode for Bluetooth pairings that would only benefit a very small number of Tesla owners (I cannot think of any other use case for maintaining multiple BLE beacons on a dead battery), which would be a major version number (so at least iOS17 in Fall 2023). And chances of that happening anyway are about the same as Elon delivering Robotaxi by year end….

So no, definitely down to Tesla and not Apple as far as I’m concerned.

And Tesla is as much a closed system as Apple (e.g: the ego battle for not acing Android Auto or CarPlay while their infotainment is starting to show its age)
Is this why when I put my Samsung up against the door pillar the other day for no reason at all, it opened? Wow

As an aside, I have one of those Aliexpress rings and find it very useful when open water swimming for example and I want to lock everything else in the car. I bought it as a bit of a gimmick joke but it’s actually brilliant, if tacky!

It is not just pettiness, Apple asks Tesla to share their software details which I do not think is fair - they are more or less equal in this partnership. And we all know about Elon vs Tim fights!
Agree, there is likely to be some other implication that is limiting Tesla, their iOS app is generally very good at exploiting the capabilities of the phone, for example the recent addition of a lock screen widget for iOS16. There's no evidence of 'pettiness' in creating the best app experience that I can see.

Last edited:
Reactions: Js1977

Share what? Unless you’ve not noticed Tesla already have an app on the App Store, Apple don’t need any more details. They most likely provide an SDK, Tesla just needs to implement it but they choose not to because Musk is a child.

Same thing with Apple Music/CarPlay, it’s there for them to use and they choose not to.

Agree, there is likely to be some other implication that is limiting Tesla, their iOS app is generally very good at exploiting the capabilities of the phone, for example the recent addition of a lock screen widget for iOS16. There's no evidence of 'pettiness' in creating the best app experience that I can see.
A lockscreen widget that doesn’t actually do very much. If anything it’s such a crap implementation that the information shown on it is actually inaccurate most of the time because the data is never refreshed.

The app itself isn’t actually that great, you can control stuff remotely like you can with other brands. It has a flaky car key function that recently has been more miss than hit, which I suspect might work better if they used Apple CarKey, the ability to send locations to the sat nav is terrible because if you have more than one car you have to go into the Tesla app and select it before going back to the map app and sharing it because they were too lazy to implement a proper share screen

Share what? Unless you’ve not noticed Tesla already have an app on the App Store, Apple don’t need any more details. They most likely provide an SDK, Tesla just needs to implement it but they choose not to because Musk is a child.

Same thing with Apple Music/CarPlay, it’s there for them to use and they choose not to.
I am sorry I do not sit on their exec board meetings. But the reason Tesla do not want to use carplay or sharing other details is more than just pettiness from Elon. Btw, Jobs or Cook’s Apple isn’t a Saint, theyv’e swallowed so many companies both in legit and non legit ways! So I think what Elon is doing is perfectly alright and personally my experience of using Apple devices and Tesla car is more seamless than any other car softwares I used with my apple devices.

Last edited:
It really isn't and it's not exactly a difficult task to find other examples of Musk being a petty man-child...

Do give it a rest with the whataboutery with Jobs (who's been dead for what? a decade now if not longer) and Cook, it's a total irrelevance to the topic at hand. Apple aren't going to gobble up Tesla because they used an SDK to provide some convenient functionality.

And what cars are those?

Reactions: Redbaron73
It really isn't and it's not exactly a difficult task to find other examples of Musk being a petty man-child...

Do give it a rest with the whataboutery with Jobs (who's been dead for what? a decade now if not longer) and Cook, it's a total irrelevance to the topic at hand. Apple aren't going to gobble up Tesla because they used an SDK to provide some convenient functionality.

And what cars are those?
Just because someone is dead doesn’t make it alright! It is relevant as Apple was and still is in the market for autonomous vehicles. And Elon was in the process of selling Tesla to Apple before the Model S breakthro’!

Key Fob being delivered tomorrow apparently two and a bit days after order so can't complain about service. It was a late evening order following 2 glasses of Red Wine, come to think about it pretty expensive Red Wine at £168 ! I'll report back on functionality.
Pretty expensive for two glasses of red wine! + key fob. The local shops make it for a tenner I guess! And a bottle of red in supermarket costs anywhere from 10-60!