Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob or not ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Pretty expensive for two glasses of red wine! + key fob. The local shops make it for a tenner I guess! And a bottle of red in supermarket costs anywhere from 10-60!
Key Fob arrived today and after inserting a battery I paired it with the Car. It works pretty intuitively and as expected is a 'cool' thing, is it worth £168 I think that's a personal preference thing but I'm keeping /using it.

Reactions: Js1977
Key Fob arrived today and after inserting a battery I paired it with the Car. It works pretty intuitively and as expected is a 'cool' thing, is it worth £168 I think that's a personal preference thing but I'm keeping /using it.
Mine had batteries. It's bloody irritating they dont include a mini lanyard for your keyring at that price though

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
Key Fob being delivered tomorrow

Late to the party ...

I think its a waste of money, but ...

Wifee and I started with Model-S in 2015 and add had a 3, since replaced with Y, and a replacement S in the interim.

The S has a fob, and Wifee has one (buried in her handbag) for the 3. I use my phone.

I've never had any delay opening a door with my phone-as-key. I have to remember to grab the fob if I'm going out in the S (I can unlock the S with the APP, and also enable "drive" - if I lost my fob.)

I carry a wallet, so I have the card-key in there (and Wifee in her handbag), can't remember the last time I used it ... but if phone had a flat battery I'd be able to.

I have a Tesla wall charger, so don't need the "release charger" fob button.

I might use Fob if I had an armful of groceries, and had the fob in my hand so I could press the fob-boot-button when I got close. But, me being me, the fob would still be in my pocket rather than my hand, so no use in that situation ... I've still have to balance groceries precariously whilst reaching for the boot-handle ...

Hopefully you mileage will be better :)

Late to the party ...

I think its a waste of money, but ...

Wifee and I started with Model-S in 2015 and add had a 3, since replaced with Y, and a replacement S in the interim.

The S has a fob, and Wifee has one (buried in her handbag) for the 3. I use my phone.

I've never had any delay opening a door with my phone-as-key. I have to remember to grab the fob if I'm going out in the S (I can unlock the S with the APP, and also enable "drive" - if I lost my fob.)

I carry a wallet, so I have the card-key in there (and Wifee in her handbag), can't remember the last time I used it ... but if phone had a flat battery I'd be able to.

I have a Tesla wall charger, so don't need the "release charger" fob button.

I might use Fob if I had an armful of groceries, and had the fob in my hand so I could press the fob-boot-button when I got close. But, me being me, the fob would still be in my pocket rather than my hand, so no use in that situation ... I've still have to balance groceries precariously whilst reaching for the boot-handle ...

Hopefully you mileage will be better :)
Using the phone as a key if the car is sleeping then the phone key won't work and I need to open the App to unlock the car. I tested the Key Fob today and even if the car is sleeping the door opens instantly, a small benefit perhaps but still a benefit.

Using the phone as a key if the car is sleeping then the phone key won't work and I need to open the App to unlock the car

Interesting, I've never had that problem, and the car must be fast asleep a good number of times when I've walked up to it. I just press the door handle and it opens and wing mirrors fold out etc. Same when I operate the the boot-handle

Much as I would like to be organised enough to turn on climate a few minutes before departure I almost NEVER remember to do that! But for an organised person that might be a solution to "Sleeping car slow to wake".

No idea why I don't have the sleeping-car slow-wake problem though. I have an iPhone 11 in case that makes a difference?. APP is always active, but not necessarily in foreground, and quite likely my phone has been in my trouser pocket, not accessed, for "ages". I've read of people with different phones unable to open the car if phone is in back pocket ... so phone make/model, and thus the strength of signal, may have some bearing?

Using the phone as a key if the car is sleeping then the phone key won't work and I need to open the App to unlock the car. I tested the Key Fob today and even if the car is sleeping the door opens instantly, a small benefit perhaps but still a benefit.
That’s more of a rare situation for me where I have had to get the app out but less likely to be an issue with a fob as well