Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key FOB packaging fail

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
C'mon Tesla you can do better. I assume most people getting a key FOB are doing so because of problem with their phone or they prefer "older" technology. The FOB came in a great box, very high class and even had two batteries. But no way to attach to a key chain and no instructions!!! So you MUST go on line to see what to do. You read that the battery is good for 5 years, so why a second when a simple sheet of instructions or a way to attach to a key chain would be FAR more helpful and likely slightly less money. So I had to go on eBay to find a small lanyard to attach the FOB to keys. So again C'mon Tesla you can do better.

• Disagree
Reactions: ItsNotAboutTheMoney
C'mon Tesla you can do better. I assume most people getting a key FOB are doing so because of problem with their phone or they prefer "older" technology. The FOB came in a great box, very high class and even had two batteries. But no way to attach to a key chain and no instructions!!! So you MUST go on line to see what to do. You read that the battery is good for 5 years, so why a second when a simple sheet of instructions or a way to attach to a key chain would be FAR more helpful and likely slightly less money. So I had to go on eBay to find a small lanyard to attach the FOB to keys. So again C'mon Tesla you can do better.
No need to go online. All the instructions needed are on the inside lid of the FOB box: go to “Locks” and “+”.
Final steps are shown on the screen.

Reactions: Dan_A
Does anyone know how you use the FOB to drive? Ours always works to open the doors or trunk/frunk but what about driving. It still often asks for the card to drive.

If you put it in park and try to put it in drive again, you’ll need to double click the roof button again. Even if you don’t get out of the car or lock it, you have to double click before it will allow you to drive.

You can get the little lanyards at any Walmart. Cost like $3 for 50 of them.
To me that is not the point. With an expected life of 5 years why send a second battery? But with many wanting the fob attached to your other keys a lanyard is very useful as there is no way to attach to a key ring. A fob in a purse can easily get lost. Tesla should make it easy for people not expect them to go to eBay or Wallmart