Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob Passive Entry Delay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm having issues with the Model 3 key fob passive entry feature.

When I walk up to my car with the key fob, I experience delays ranging from 2-15 seconds while pressing the door door handle, before the door opens. I also experience this issue when pressing the button on the charging cable. If I have accessed the car recently (1-2min), there is no delay.

I setup a mobile service appointment, and after some investigation, the tech said the key fob operates differently from the phone. Apparently the unlock command is only sent when the door handle is pressed, as opposed to the phone which unlocks the car when you get near. I'm not sure that is accurate, or at least the reason for the delays.

I've only had my car for 3 months, and the key fob for about 2 months. I've tried 3 different batteries in the key fob, with no apparent effect.

Does anyone else experience this issue? Is this an issue with the key fob or car, or just a known quirk?

No fob, but when the car delays, I always thought that meant the car was in deep sleep. Usually that's a good thing, I think. Not sure what the downside is, other than the delay. Having said that, I rarely walk up to the car and have a delay.

Thanks. I wondered if it was related to the car sleeping. But the Tesla support page says the passive entry key fob is supposed to automatically unlock the car within 3 feet. No delay is specified, and I doubt the delay is a design feature.

UPDATE: Tesla tried a different key fob, with no change to the delay issue. The technician said there isn't really much more he can do at this point, other then open a session internally for visibility.

Apparently as my phone doesn't have the same delay issues and it shares the same unlock signal as the key fob (Bluetooth low energy), it likely isn't a hardware issue. He thinks it most likely is a firmware issue, but suggested I try it on a different Model 3 to see if I experience the same delay. He also kindly forwarded me the text regarding the remote from the documentation available to him.

"The second generation of key fobs is equipped with Passive Entry hardware. If enabled in the vehicle security settings, the Model 3 automatically unlocks when a key fob is present, authenticated, and a door handle is pulled. Key fob presence is determined using the signal strength measured by BLE endpoints. If one the three BLE endpoints signal strength value exceeds a define threshold, key fob will be considered as present. Similarly, if a key fob is determined to be leaving and Walk Away Lock is enabled, the vehicle will lock. When present, the key fob authenticates the vehicle for drive and disarms the Immobilizer.

Second generation key fobs have a built-in Inertial Measurement Unit which monitors key fob movement. The key fob will enter Sleep state after five minutes of being stationary while in range. This functionality increases the key fob battery life. Shake or press a button of the key fob to wake it up."

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
UPDATE: Tesla tried a different key fob, with no change to the delay issue. The technician said there isn't really much more he can do at this point, other then open a session internally for visibility.

Apparently as my phone doesn't have the same delay issues and it shares the same unlock signal as the key fob (Bluetooth low energy), it likely isn't a hardware issue. He thinks it most likely is a firmware issue, but suggested I try it on a different Model 3 to see if I experience the same delay. He also kindly forwarded me the text regarding the remote from the documentation available to him.

"The second generation of key fobs is equipped with Passive Entry hardware. If enabled in the vehicle security settings, the Model 3 automatically unlocks when a key fob is present, authenticated, and a door handle is pulled. Key fob presence is determined using the signal strength measured by BLE endpoints. If one the three BLE endpoints signal strength value exceeds a define threshold, key fob will be considered as present. Similarly, if a key fob is determined to be leaving and Walk Away Lock is enabled, the vehicle will lock. When present, the key fob authenticates the vehicle for drive and disarms the Immobilizer.

Second generation key fobs have a built-in Inertial Measurement Unit which monitors key fob movement. The key fob will enter Sleep state after five minutes of being stationary while in range. This functionality increases the key fob battery life. Shake or press a button of the key fob to wake it up."
Could it be related to the sleep function in your key fob as described above. I know with my phone sometimes I have to wake it also for things to work.