Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob Question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
LR VIN 29XXX delivery 8/4. I've had the key fob since delivery and it worked as advertised until this weekend. The buttons on the fob lock and unlock the car and I'm able to start...but the buttons on the fob that unlock and open the front and rear trunks do nothing. Holding the trunk button down for 2 seconds does open the the charging port door but no luck with either trunk. I deleted the fob and added it again and still get same issues. Battery is supposed to last 5 years and I've only had the fob for 4 weeks. I guess that might be my next step - replace the battery. Any other suggestions?

LR VIN 29XXX delivery 8/4. I've had the key fob since delivery and it worked as advertised until this weekend. The buttons on the fob lock and unlock the car and I'm able to start...but the buttons on the fob that unlock and open the front and rear trunks do nothing. Holding the trunk button down for 2 seconds does open the the charging port door but no luck with either trunk. I deleted the fob and added it again and still get same issues. Battery is supposed to last 5 years and I've only had the fob for 4 weeks. I guess that might be my next step - replace the battery. Any other suggestions?

A battery replacement is cheap and simple. It would be the next thing to try. If you're not comfortable doing it, just stop at any auto parts store and they'll do it in a minute.
Thanks - fob was shipped from Tesla without battery installed so I had to do that to start with. It's definitely not the battery. I have the fob in a silicone "fob pocket" and it looks like the thickness of the case prevents a consistent recognition of the double click needed to open the trunk and hatch. Once I remove the case everything worked as advertised.