Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob question . . .

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On a model S (and hence hopefully on a 3 also), click the trunk of the fob twice to open the trunk. Hold the trunk on the fob for a few seconds to open the charge port. Click the frunk on the fob twice to unlock the frunk.
Make sure you have walk away lock enabled to lock the car when you walk away.

On a model S (and hence hopefully on a 3 also), click the trunk of the fob twice to open the trunk. Hold the trunk on the fob for a few seconds to open the charge port. Click the frunk on the fob twice to unlock the frunk.
Make sure you have walk away lock enabled to lock the car when you walk away.

Thank you. I will have to check if walk away is enabled, I thought it was.

What's the question(s)? Yes, you CAN use walk away lock with the fob, it just has to be enabled in the menu. Pressing the rear of the fob twice quickly opens the trunk. I use a fob all the time, and find it to work fantastically for my situation.

It will lock the car when top is pushed, but not when you walk away. It will unlock when you walk up and push the handle. Pushing rear of Fob opens the charge door and not the trunk?

Did you buy a brand new keyfob from tesla directly? If so, its a passive one, and the features of said keyfob are in the tesla manual on page 10 and 11. It will have a tesla logo on the bottom. If you didnt, and have a keyfob with a logo on the bottom that says MODEL 3, its not a passive keyfob, and thus wont work with walk away lock, etc.

Did you buy a brand new keyfob from tesla directly? If so, its a passive one, and the features of said keyfob are in the tesla manual on page 10 and 11. It will have a tesla logo on the bottom. I

Directly from Tesla with Tesla logo on bottom. Everything except walk away lock works. How far away and how long before car should lock? Same question for iPhone key how far away and how long before car should lock?

Directly from Tesla with Tesla logo on bottom. Everything except walk away lock works. How far away and how long before car should lock? Same question for iPhone key how far away and how long before car should lock?

probably 40-50 feet would be my guess. Farther than you think, but yes it works. Turn on the horn beep on lock and listen for it as you walk away. I usually get around 2-3 cars away in a parking lot before I hear it beep.