Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Walla2, that looks like a good solution for me (I've got black perf interior with red piping and CF accents). Does the string come with the holder? In the pictures on Amazon it doesn't show the string attaching the key to the holder. Amazon is out of stock on the op tech mini loops, so I'm looking for a solution until they're back in stock.

The leather holder comes with the metal clip and a leather loop that goes into openable screw rivet. The op-tech mini loops (the string) are separate/not included. I put my op-tech mini into the rivet and then push it in-line with the rivet to make everything as compact as possible.

CameraZOOM-20121227231607037.jpg

I wish there were an option like MBZ Keyless Go where I coudl keep the key in my wallet. Keys are a bummer. Attaching key is a bigger bummer.

That would be ok, but give me a high quality wrist watch that includes buttons for the drunk & trunk & maybe with some app type features to check charge status & preheat/cool, I'd buy that in a heart beat!

That would be ok, but give me a high quality wrist watch that includes buttons for the drunk & trunk & maybe with some app type features to check charge status & preheat/cool, I'd buy that in a heart beat!

I love this idea. They could even do a premium one by partnering with a watchmaker (like Bentley and Breitling or Panerai and Ferrari). I love nice watches and would buy one in a second even if it didn't open my doors or have an app!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm using this one too. Works great!

They had run out of these on Amazon and said it was 2-3 weeks back order, but I just got a notice that I'll get it middle of next week for anyone who wants to order one.

RandyS : Thanks for the update the key holder is at: iJDMTOY 3d Carbon Fiber Pattern Key Holder Small[/URL). They also sell a larger one for those that like options: [URL="http://www.amazon.com/iJDMTOY-Pattern-Genuine-Premium-Leather/dp/B008E9EVL8/ref=sr_1_33?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1357402169&sr=1-33"]Larger Carbon Fiber Key Holder

I was emailing op-tech USA about the op-tech mini loops. They are back in stock but with delayed shipping at Amazon. Op-Tech Mini Loops. Op-Tech also said they would be willing to try to build a prototype strap based on the mini with a small ring. I will let you know if something good comes out of it.

Stuart’s keyring solution

Here's how I attached my Model S key to my keyring.

Ingredients:
One Model S key
One 10mm ring
One tube of Superglue gel

1-Key-and-ring.jpg

2-Superglue.jpg

Directions:
Stick 10mm ring into slot at the back of the Model S key.
Secure in place using Superglue gel.

3-Glued-key.jpg

Result:
Model S key attached to keyring.

4-Key-on-ring.jpg

Great idea, but that superglue will (likely) break with little stress, IMHO.

But the same process might work well if adjusted slightly... I suggest:
- some sandpaper scuffing of the fob plastic around the location where the ring touches (folded sandpaper or even a triangular file?) for better adhesion
- attachment via two-part epoxy, for strength

Great idea, but that superglue will (likely) break with little stress, IMHO.

I picked the rubber-infused flexible glue because I thought that should last better than normal cyanoacrylates. Note that there was no “wobble” in the 10mm ring — it was jammed in there pretty firmly, and the glue was just to keep it from pulling back out. So the glue is subject to tension forces, but hopefully not day-to-day sideways flexing. I’ll report back if and when it breaks.

I picked the rubber-infused flexible glue because I thought that should last better than normal cyanoacrylates. Note that there was no “wobble” in the 10mm ring — it was jammed in there pretty firmly, and the glue was just to keep it from pulling back out. So the glue is subject to tension forces, but hopefully not day-to-day sideways flexing. I’ll report back if and when it breaks.

Great job. Now why we have to go to lengths like this for a key fob instead of it being delivered like this is odd but I like your solution. Thanks.

Sorry if I appeared to criticize - you did pick the best cyanoacrylate, IMHO.
I was just suggesting that a hard or semi-flexible epoxy would ultimately maintain strength longer under tension and shearing force.
Great solution, and I share Dave's thought that it should have been better designed at Tesla. 8 \

How about something entirely different

5 bucks at Michaels for some black leather cord, a few knots, a crimp or two, and voila - not only a place to safely keep the Tesla keyfob, but also a necklace that makes me fashionable and tres chic with the green crowd.

photo-9.JPG