Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob solutions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I have some nice black sampo swivels but I don't have the right size split ring to fit the odd shaped cutout. I wish they would have either made a bar or a notch for split ring.

I have used a sampo ball bearing swivel before. it allows the fob to spin, so it can lie flat in your pocket. I tried several sizes of split rings that I had lying arround. pictured is the best I could find, but I am still looking for a smaller one, but I don't know how I would get it on without ruining the bar it goes through. It still needs a bit of work.
IMAG0083.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: divemaster
I wont own the Model S for awhile, but I just ordered the Case Logic Flash Drive Holder. Might as well. Good thread!

I had a house full of stuff for a car I didn't own! Floor mats, license plate light bulbs, frank mat, cargo net, 14-50 outlet, jacket. The S will come, and you'll have a blast actually using all the stuff. Buying something every once in a while helped with the wait, because then I'd get excited about the new accessory coming, taking my mind off the actual car, and when it got here the S delivery date was a few days closer. It made the time go by a little less slowly.

I went with the Case Logic USB case and it works well for me. Thanks for the tips.

Amazon.com: Case Logic USB-201 USB Flash Drive Case (Black): Electronics

View attachment 17332

I got the case logic too. I like how it protects the fob from scratches from keys in your pocket. I'm so paranoid that the T logo on the fob will wear off that I have it covered inside the case logic case.
great find, bought 2 and they work perfectly!

I've been avoiding keeping the fob with my other keys to avoid scratching it up and even so, it's already showing signs of wear. I'm only half kidding when I say I'm actually considering having "paint armor" added to the fobs when we have the whole car wrapped. once they are protected, i will add them to my key chain, they are just so slick that they fall out of the pocket easily when not connected to anything and I sit down on the couch.

I'm only half kidding when I say I'm actually considering having "paint armor" added to the fobs when we have the whole car wrapped.

Actually, the shop where I got my car done mentioned that they had tried this for a previous customer. They said it kind of worked, but there was a lot of obvious stretching and that the end result didn't look very good (I think they removed it in the end).

KEY FOB / Keychain ideas

Ok the Key Fob is very cool. Everyone loves it but the design is very flawed. I need ideas on how to attach it to my key ring. One thought is to use a cable tie but it's pretty bulky in my pocket.

Any ideas?

I've tried out 3 different setups over the last few months, started with this:
21Ek3c+LjeL.jpg

But was concerned the thin strap wouldn't hold up over time, so then tried this:
41p7b2I-0bL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Although that worked fine and made it easy to detach a key-ring from the fob, was starting to see too much wear on the fob itself from being in my pocket, so now advanced to this USB sleeve:
41qZbqQiRWL._SL500_SS500_.jpg

Ended up attaching the camera straps to the USB sleeve key-ring, as I liked the detachable connectors.