Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key FOB Summon Not Working for Anyone Else?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a key fob specifically for a simplified and faster summon experience. It does not work for activating summon. The car will go into summon mode where the hazards flash but it will not start moving in either direction.

I've followed the manual to the letter as far as turning off requiring holding the button in settings. The fob is paired and unlocks the car. Summon works without holding the button with my phone just fine.

Also when trying to initiate summon from the car's interface it doesn't work as stated in the manual. You are supposed to be able to park, then double click the park button, indicate on the screen which direction you want it to travel, and when you close the door it's supposed to start. To be fair I wasn't even aware of this method to initiate summon until I just recently read the summon section of the manual in detail.

See page 84-86 https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/model_3_owners_manual_north_america_en.pdf

Mine doesn't work from the fob either but works fine from the app. Half the time the hazards will flash and not do anything, the other half it'll move a few inches before going unresponsive again until I "reset" it by holding the center button.

Are you in the US?
Yes.

There have been a few youtube videos showing Model 3 with summon by fob so it does work.

Why don't you video your session so we can tell you what you are missing?
I could, but I’ve watched the videos and read the manual. I’ve verified the fob works for other functions (lock, unlock, pop drunk/trunk) and verified summon works with the phone. I’m 99% certain there is a bug or other issue preventing it from working. I wanted to try and understand how widespread this was or if it was more isolated.

Mine doesn't work from the fob either but works fine from the app. Half the time the hazards will flash and not do anything, the other half it'll move a few inches before going unresponsive again until I "reset" it by holding the center button.
Mine didn’t work at all sent it back. No refund yet, been 3 weeks.

• Informative
Reactions: Rojer Lockless
I don’t have the fob but whether Summon works via my iPhone 7 on either my Tesla S or 3 is a crapshoot. Sometimes it connects and works fine, sometimes works for a short while and then craps out, and sometimes won’t connect at all. Luckily I can get in both Teslas in my garage without using Summon, though it is a bit of a tight squeeze. If I had a tighter garage fit requiring Summon, I would be SOL much of the time.

I don’t have the fob but whether Summon works via my iPhone 7 on either my Tesla S or 3 is a crapshoot. Sometimes it connects and works fine, sometimes works for a short while and then craps out, and sometimes won’t connect at all. Luckily I can get in both Teslas in my garage without using Summon, though it is a bit of a tight squeeze. If I had a tighter garage fit requiring Summon, I would be SOL much of the time.
That's what I was hoping getting the key fob would fix. I don't need it all the time, but I actually ended up using it often enough in my garage that I wanted a more reliable and quicker way to do it.

Update! After trying the fob again this weekend with the latest software revision, 2019.4.4, summon from the key fob is working.

I haven’t tried initiating it from the touch screen again yet, that might be fixed too. I’m not sure that most people even realize you can do that. (It’s in the manual)