Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob To The Rescue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah, I hadn't tried the widget but added it a few days ago wondering what it would do and saw the choices. I haven't tried it yet, but what happens when you choose the "Frunk" button on the widget? Does it prompt you to confirm like it does in the app?

I tried all the buttons on the iPhone widget.
  • You can turn off and on circulation through the widget.
  • Pressing open frunk will open up the app and ask are you sure.
  • You can lock the car through the widget but unlocking the car will open up the app (but no confirmation asked).

Just because you haven't had issues doesn't mean that aren't plenty of others out there that have, and continue to have, issues with the phone.

works both way buddy...maybe get off the high horse? i just pointed out that i see it as a great advantage not having to use a FOB...didn't say they should make them for the technology challenged.

The notification bar does not need a 2nd confirmation. Typical grocery run : pay with Paypass/phone, pack grocery, keep phone in hand, unlock trunk/frunk, pocket phone, walk to car.
It does require a confirmation, at least on my iPhone 6s+ running iOS 12 and 3.5 of the app. I have the widget running, so I swiped left to bring it up, and I tapped the Frunk button. All that did was launch the app, and the app prompted me if I was sure.

Either way, I'm not popping my frunk until I am in sight of my car. No way am I doing it while I'm still in the store.

Drawfour said: I think the cost is very reasonable. Free.

Is it free to existing M3 owners? I thought the fob was free only with future deliveries.
Yes. There was an article from one of the EV sites that broke the news, and they claimed a Tesla representative they talked to said it would be free for new and current owners. I assume that means you'll get the first 2 free just like on the S or X, and getting an extra or replacement one will cost $125 like it does for the X and S, but that was never stated.

Yes. There was an article from one of the EV sites that broke the news, and they claimed a Tesla representative they talked to said it would be free for new and current owners. I assume that means you'll get the first 2 free just like on the S or X, and getting an extra or replacement one will cost $125 like it does for the X and S, but that was never stated.

when i took delivery of my P3D the other day, i asked about the keyfobs and they said 'we arent allowed to talk about those right now'.

they said it should show up on the tesla store, but didnt mention anything about them being free.

I think I already know the answer to this but I’m assuming we don’t know of a rumored date yet do we? A friend is thinking of ordering a model 3 but is waiting on the fob for now.
Waiting for the FOB would be a mistake. Why would you potentially forgo the huge tax benefit to save yourself a couple of months of dealing with the key card or phone as key? If someone is in the market for a Model 3, order now.

Phone as a key went from a minor annoyance to totally major pain in the butt. Car can only recognize the current car listed in the App.

1. For example M3#1 and M3#2 are both locked in the garage.
  2. My phone is currently set to M3#2.
  3. M3#2 unlocks when I pull the handle and can put my coffee in the car.
  4. I pull M3#1 but car won't unlock (100% fail rate).
  5. I have to open the App and change the car from M3#2 to M3#1.
  6. M3#2 Auto Locks
  7. I pull M3#1's handle and it unlocks.
  8. I put my wife's coffee inside.
  9. Now when I pull MS#2, the car won't unlock.
  10. I have to open the App and change it from M3#1 back to M3#2 to unlock my car.
  11. Now image doing this just to unplug both cars in the morning.
  12. It's a circus now..

when i took delivery of my P3D the other day, i asked about the keyfobs and they said 'we arent allowed to talk about those right now'.

they said it should show up on the tesla store, but didnt mention anything about them being free.
Yes. "We aren't allowed to talk about them right now", which means that they can't tell you anything about them being free, pay, etc... The source from Tesla for the article said they would be free. Not getting explicitly told that they would be free by someone who tells you they're not allowed to talk about it is not exactly an indicator that they won't be free...

Phone as a key went from a minor annoyance to totally major pain in the butt. Car can only recognize the current car listed in the App.

1. For example M3#1 and M3#2 are both locked in the garage.
  2. My phone is currently set to M3#2.
  3. M3#2 unlocks when I pull the handle and can put my coffee in the car.
  4. I pull M3#1 but car won't unlock (100% fail rate).
  5. I have to open the App and change the car from M3#2 to M3#1.
  6. M3#2 Auto Locks
  7. I pull M3#1's handle and it unlocks.
  8. I put my wife's coffee inside.
  9. Now when I pull MS#2, the car won't unlock.
  10. I have to open the App and change it from M3#1 back to M3#2 to unlock my car.
  11. Now image doing this just to unplug both cars in the morning.
  12. It's a circus now..

right there with you, buddy. Used to be able to keep my app on the wife's M3 and my fob for my S, but just swapped my S for a P3 and it's app-swiping aplenty to swap the charging cable.

Definitely will be using a fob if/when it's available...

(Though I can't see any reason why the app couldn't connect to both cars at the same time; my phone connects to multiple BT devices constantly...)