Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob To The Rescue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just called Tesla and complained about my phone key. Ever since the last update, I have had 3 failures in 3 days where I had to pull out my phone, connect to the TM3 and manually unlock it. Not sure what has changed but I don't like it, previously. At first they played dumb, saying they didn't know of any fob coming for the TM3, then I told her I saw the FCC reports, and that there was a news article about them already.

She told me "Well your card is really your key and the phone is just a backup, so your key works, just not your phone" I told her that my manual clearly states that the phone is the primary key and the card is the backup. Therefore my key doesn't work reliably, and I'd like a fob.

I just want a fob so I can stop playing car roulette. Hands full, open car door, and nothing...try again, nothing. Wife looking at me asking whats wrong? I reach for my phone, but its in the other pocket, and that hand is full. Finally I get the phone out, unlock it, get to the Tesla app, and my door opens.

Its so frustrating and now I know what others with bad phone keys deal with, now that my phone sucks as a key. It used to work pretty well, like 99% of the time. Now it unlocks as I walk up about half the time.

Tesla said "Service will call you within 48 hours" I have yet to have anyone from Tesla call me back except on the day of my delivery. I'm not holding my breath, but I am going to dog them until we get resolution.

Tesla said "Service will call you within 48 hours" I have yet to have anyone from Tesla call me back except on the day of my delivery. I'm not holding my breath, but I am going to dog them until we get resolution.

At a minimum we have heard that you will need to have a 2018.42.x firmware before you can use a Model 3 fob. So it will probably be a few more weeks at a minimum.

I am certainly going to be patient, but also the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I am not sure why but my phone key suddenly is unreliable, and there's no reason I should have to deal with the poor customer experience that creates, due to a poor choice by Tesla.
If being squeaky get you the fobs earlier. The rest of the folks with issues will Lemming. Looking forward to seeing the outcome.

My phone has worked all the time except 4 or 5 times where I had to take it out of my back pocket.
But with the latest update my phone battery drains down much faster than before.
I'm worried that they changed something that drains the phone battery...now I'm worried that I could have a dead battery causing a fail.

15 years with key fobs...the batteries last years

Reactions: N5329K
An update on how fast my phone's battery has been draining since the version 9 software update.

For 2.5 months my M3 has worked well with my phone (a couple of exceptions) but I did leave Bluetooth on all the time which I normally don't do. But with the update I would wake up in the morning with a nearly dead phone most days. This happened for a week or two. Note that I park my car in my garage which is about 25 ft from where I leave my phone.
The last 4 days I've parked my car in my driveway (20 ft farther away) and with one more wall in the way.
My phone doesn't drain down now.
If my phone is 100% when I leave work, I get home and go to bed (and didn't use it much) it is 90%, then 80% in the morning.
But with the SW update it would be like 30% or 40% in the morning.

C60048C1-0D6C-49D9-ADF3-25328DA86A3E.jpeg

The good news is that the key fobs will be soon available. But the bad news is that, according to the release notes, you will have to purchase them from Tesla.

Yes, I was expecting that, though. Frankly, that's fine with me--I will probably only want one, anyway. For whatever reason my phone seems to work fine. It's my wife's phone that isn't very reliable.

Reactions: APotatoGod
Tesla has now proven how successfully profitable the Model 3 is, that they can afford to give two fobs to each Model 3 owner as the phone/cards have not worked out as expected, and reduce some of the 20-25% margin we assisted with.
;)