Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob To The Rescue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know, but there's no reason to tell people in the software update that they can buy a fob when they're not available. It could have said "when available". It could have just silently given the update without telling anyone about it.

FWIW the update was actually genuinely useful to me.

My car was delivered with only 1 key card (but 2 programmed in).

A few weeks later they sent a ranger out to give me a new card from my due bill- which he had to program in with his laptop connected to the car... and then was unable to delete the one I never got from the system.

He said he should have been able to, and would file a report, and someone would get back to me.

Nobody did of course.

But now thanks to that update I was able to delete the extra card I never got from the car by myself.

But yeah, adding (once available) after "buy from tesla" would've been a good idea given how well they usually do meeting deadlines for delivering anything.

FWIW the update was actually genuinely useful to me.

My car was delivered with only 1 key card (but 2 programmed in).

A few weeks later they sent a ranger out to give me a new card from my due bill- which he had to program in with his laptop connected to the car... and then was unable to delete the one I never got from the system.

He said he should have been able to, and would file a report, and someone would get back to me.

Nobody did of course.

But now thanks to that update I was able to delete the extra card I never got from the car by myself.

But yeah, adding (once available) after "buy from tesla" would've been a good idea given how well they usually do meeting deadlines for delivering anything.
Well, they could have advertised that you can now delete key cards without saying anything about fobs. :)

Actually, when you use the key card (or the implanted version) you only have to use i to open the car door. As long as you start the car (step on brake) within about 30 seconds you don't need to key card again -- at least that is what I figured out the few times I tried it

FWIW manual says within 2 minutes, though I've never timed it