Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key FOB tricks and Uses

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The automatic closing is only with the new P85D, not with the new 85D.

The self-closing charge port is in North American dual-motor Model S only (and presumably in Japan too, when they finally get the dual motor versions)
Tesla haven't redesigned the European (Mennekes compatible) chargeport yet, which is why your 85D doesn't have this feature.

The automatic closing is only with the new P85D, not with the new 85D. The new P85D even closes the chargeport by itself if you start driving while leaving the port open.

It's on all new US D-cars. My 70D does all that.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm, not according to the owner's manual and the 6.2 software update sheet.

Can anyone confirm this feature?

When I took delivery of my car last month, the DS commented that it's fairly new (true? not true? don't know, but my car has it)

Ask someone who got the car within the last couple months.

It's on all new US D-cars. My 70D does all that.

- - - Updated - - -

When I took delivery of my car last month, the DS commented that it's fairly new (true? not true? don't know, but my car has it)

Ask someone who got the car within the last couple months.
Thanks. I pick up my 70D tomorrow, and obviously the manual (yeah, I was OCD enough to read the whole thing) is obsolete. :)

The big question is if you do that and look at the instrument cluster, does it indicate it unlocked/locked your doors?

My kids were cranky during the last leg of the roadtrip, so I thought "hey, let me give them the toy car key to distract them for all of 2 minutes!" but then "hmm... what if they pop open the trunk or frunk?" so I tried all the buttons out, and the only thing that happened was the dome lights going on/off. I would've noticed the doors being unlocked, I would think.

I have verified it. All good.

Yup, even on the 17", the frunk and trunk are disabled from being opened (from the screen at least) while the car is in Drive or Reverse. But I know if you put yourself in park at a red light, the doors unlock and the handles extend, so that is why I was wondering if the doors would unlock while driving. Thanks for checking Max!

Yup, even on the 17", the frunk and trunk are disabled from being opened (from the screen at least) while the car is in Drive or Reverse. But I know if you put yourself in park at a red light, the doors unlock and the handles extend, so that is why I was wondering if the doors would unlock while driving. Thanks for checking Max!

I spoke a little too soon. The instrument cluster DOES shows an unlock sign (after double taping the remote while driving), but the door handles do NOT extend when the dome lights turn on. Not sure if it's relevant though...

I spoke a little too soon. The instrument cluster DOES shows an unlock sign (after double taping the remote while driving), but the door handles do NOT extend when the dome lights turn on. Not sure if it's relevant though...

Probably not unless you drive into an area where people are randomly pushing your door handles to get them to extend and open the door while you are at a light. If you do drive in such an area, you have other concerns too! ;)