Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob vs. washing machine

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, I accidently left the Tesla key fob in my pants pocket when they went into the wash (front-load clothes washer). It took about 15 minutes to get dislodged from the pocket and started rattling around in the washer; which is when I noticed it. Stopped the washer, had it drain, and searched around to see what the noise was. It was my Tesla key fob. :oops:

1664138684796.png

I happened to look out the laundry room window and the rear hatch of my MYLR was up. "Gee, I didn't leave it up". So I went outside and pushed the button to lower it. About 20 minutes later I looked out the window and it was back up again. So I closed it again. Ditto the frunk; it had triggered to unlatch.

Then I opened the key fob and removed the CR2032 battery. I let everything dry out overnight and put in a new battery the next morning. It has worked fine since then.

I prefer the key fob since it stays in my pocket and I just walk up to the door, open the handle, hop in, drive away. No need to wave the card around. And I'm old so I have a dumb phone, not a smart phone. I'm perfectly happy with the key fob. ...and now it is clean ;)

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

You dont find it limiting in any way to not have access to the Tesla app?

Nope, the car does everything that I need it to do with the key fob. And I never actually do anything with the fob; it just stays in my pocket and talks to the car whenever it needs to. Unlocking, driving, locking, etc. The only feature of the App that might be nice is pre-heating the car before I get in -- but in this part of California, keeping the car cool is much more of a concern (and auto "keep cool" mode takes care of that).

Scott

--

MYLR | Red ext | White int | 19" | 5 seats | tow | no FSD | made/delivered Oct 2021

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
Glad it survived hopefully it doesn’t rust inside and start failing

It has been a week and the fob has worked fine. Also, when I opened the fob up last week to let it dry, it wasn't dripping with water. The fob is somewhat sealed. There was "moisture" inside, but no pools of water. I think opening it to dry out, and replacing the battery, were crucial. Likewise, since I have a front-load washer, it wasn't continuously submerged.

Scott

--

Well, I accidently left the Tesla key fob in my pants pocket when they went into the wash (front-load clothes washer). It took about 15 minutes to get dislodged from the pocket and started rattling around in the washer; which is when I noticed it. Stopped the washer, had it drain, and searched around to see what the noise was. It was my Tesla key fob. :oops:

View attachment 856848

I happened to look out the laundry room window and the rear hatch of my MYLR was up. "Gee, I didn't leave it up". So I went outside and pushed the button to lower it. About 20 minutes later I looked out the window and it was back up again. So I closed it again. Ditto the frunk; it had triggered to unlatch.

Then I opened the key fob and removed the CR2032 battery. I let everything dry out overnight and put in a new battery the next morning. It has worked fine since then.

I prefer the key fob since it stays in my pocket and I just walk up to the door, open the handle, hop in, drive away. No need to wave the card around. And I'm old so I have a dumb phone, not a smart phone. I'm perfectly happy with the key fob. ...and now it is clean ;)

Scott

--

good to know - I thought the key fobs were dry clean only!

View attachment 856848

Scott

--

Dittos to your comments on the fob. I hang my house key on mine - yep, still analog in that department. I have laundered mine at one time or another - both of them. Old and absent minded. Both were fine with a battery replacement. Cheers.

Reactions: e645824
I like the fob purely for the ability to open the frunk without having to either get my phone out of my pocket, unlock it, open the Tesla app, go to controls etc. or walk up to the car , open the door, and use the screen.
Just putting my hand in my pocket and pressing the button is much quicker and easier.

Reactions: jpfive and e645824