Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob with profile settings?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car should read which fob opens the DRIVERS door and make adjustments accordingly. Right now the car just reads when the first fob opens any door.
This is exactly what I suggested in the relevant Model X thread - I have the same issue when my wife gets into the passenger side, it converts to her profile, even though it senses my fob in order to open the door for me on the driver's side - if I pause to unplug, its too late

Jelloslug, I REALLY do not want it to adjust before I get in. I would LOVE for it to adjust after I'm in and, for example, press the brake pedal. My wife and I, as well as many other Tesla owners, have an 'EXIT' or 'HOME' setting to make getting in and out easier. That is why I suggested this other way it could work. (See my previous post.)
You do however have a good point. Some may not want an EXIT profile. So this should be optional. If I can I'll change my previous post to reflect that.
I'd appreciate any comments on that post if you don't mind.

I'd like YOUR THOUGHTS on how the new Custom FOB Driver Seat should work?
Here are my thoughts.
(The new update is almost there just a software tweak or two.)
Tesla could optionally allow for a selectable 'EXIT' or 'HOME' profile. To aid ease of entry/exit. If you don't want a separate EXIT/Home Profile you would not use this option.
- As you get to your car:
1 You get in the car and your FOB is sensed.
2. You step on the brake then the car adjusts your seat.
2a. If the car senses two FOBs it shows on the screen and lets you select the desired profile.
3. You buckle up and drive away.
- Upon reaching your destination:
1. The driver unbuckles the seat belt (Car could also look to see the door unlatch.)
2. The car adjusts to the preselected 'EXIT' or 'HOME' profile.
3. The car would not reset the seat adjustment until someone gets in and presses the brake.

Jelloslug, I REALLY do not want it to adjust before I get in. I would LOVE for it to adjust after I'm in and, for example, press the brake pedal. My wife and I, as well as many other Tesla owners, have an 'EXIT' or 'HOME' setting to make getting in and out easier. That is why I suggested this other way it could work. (See my previous post.)
You do however have a good point. Some may not want an EXIT profile. So this should be optional. If I can I'll change my previous post to reflect that.

I'd appreciate any comments on that post if you don't mind.
Link to previous post Key fob with profile settings?

The car should read which fob opens the DRIVERS door and make adjustments accordingly. Right now the car just reads when the first fob opens any door.
My wife and I keep auto-present turned off and, in this configuration, things get messy... Before the update, there were times where we'd approach the car on opposite sides and the the car would only respond to one of us (meaning that I could stand on the driver's side and poke the handle all I wanted, but the car wouldn't do anything until she poked the handle on the passenger's side or vice-versa). Post-update and fob linking, the car occasionally won't respond to either of us until one steps a few feet back from the car and it's a bit of a crap shoot which profile it'll select (including sometimes using the settings from my profile, but displaying her profile name).

In a single fob present situation, the system works great. With two fobs present, it seems pretty broken and may actually be worth disabling.

This is exactly what I suggested in the relevant Model X thread - I have the same issue when my wife gets into the passenger side, it converts to her profile, even though it senses my fob in order to open the door for me on the driver's side - if I pause to unplug, its too late
When we were testing it out there was a situation were she got in on the passenger side while I unplugged it. The car went to her profile and I stopped it, set it back to my profile, closed the drivers door and then went back to finish putting the cord away. When I opened the drivers door the car immediately went back to her profile.

Finally got to play with it. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It could be better, but it's not horrible.

[as stated above] The algorithm works that whichever fob unlocks the car, then the drivers door is opened, the seat moves to the fob that unlocked the car.

So after a couple days, my wife was sprinting to the car to get there before me, I ask her what she's doing, she said she doesn't want the seat to move, lol.

When we were testing it out there was a situation were she got in on the passenger side while I unplugged it. The car went to her profile and I stopped it, set it back to my profile, closed the drivers door and then went back to finish putting the cord away. When I opened the drivers door the car immediately went back to her profile.

same for us, we had to disable for now

What I want to know is how to differentiate between the two key fobs. They look exactly the same to me, and since I’ve not accessorised any of them, with a day-glo rubberised fob cover, I have no way of knowing if I’ve picked up mine or my dad’s.
As many, we use silicone fob holders, different colors
Super inexpensive alternative are those colored adhesive dots

• Informative
Reactions: avesraggiana
Sometimes but not every time, if I go out to the car and my wife was the last driver, the displays switch to my profile but the seat and mirrors don't move. Then I have to click my name and choose "Restore" to get it to move back into position. Defeats the purpose!

I'm wondering who else might be having this problem? I did already delete the pairings and set it again.

• Informative
Reactions: avesraggiana
Yes, I have the same problem. My wife's key conficts with my key. In fact one such contact caused the Valet setting to kick in while I was driving slowing the car down. Since she's 5' 4'' and I'm 6' 4'', this key conflict is a big problem. Even worse I can't cancel the key settings to start over. That setting disappeared. I agree that there needs to be away to give priority to the key fob that unlocks the driver door. If anyone has a solution to clearing the key settings and starting over, I'd love to read it.

Yes, I have the same problem. My wife's key conficts with my key. In fact one such contact caused the Valet setting to kick in while I was driving slowing the car down. Since she's 5' 4'' and I'm 6' 4'', this key conflict is a big problem. Even worse I can't cancel the key settings to start over. That setting disappeared. I agree that there needs to be away to give priority to the key fob that unlocks the driver door. If anyone has a solution to clearing the key settings and starting over, I'd love to read it.
Correction: replace contact with conflict.