Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fob won't lock door

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hoping someone can help...Tesla service on Roadsters severely lacking. My Key Fob will open door, start car, etc.; however, it will not lock the door. It's always been temperamental - I sometimes have to find just the right place on the car to lock it. Even with new battery in key, it now will not lock the car at all. This is a 2011 Roadster.

Any thoughts as to how to pursue this?

Thanks,
Kay

Hello, Kay! If the key fob reliably unlocks the door, then the radio transmission from the fob and the receiver in the car must be working. If you hold the key in the same place it should also be able to lock, but I gather from your description that it doesn't. Two thoughts come to mind, but they are weak ones:
  1. If there is a door or bonnet that is not latched, then the car won't lock. You should see an indication of that on the dash, though.
  2. I wonder if there could be a mechanical problem in the door lock mechanism that prevents it from latching successfully. But you should still hear the beep if the lock button is received and the mechanism tries to latch.
Steve Casner

Two ad
Hello, Kay! If the key fob reliably unlocks the door, then the radio transmission from the fob and the receiver in the car must be working. If you hold the key in the same place it should also be able to lock, but I gather from your description that it doesn't. Two thoughts come to mind, but they are weak ones:
  1. If there is a door or bonnet that is not latched, then the car won't lock. You should see an indication of that on the dash, though.
  2. I wonder if there could be a mechanical problem in the door lock mechanism that prevents it from latching successfully. But you should still hear the beep if the lock button is received and the mechanism tries to latch.
Steve Casner

Two additional thoughts. Since the functions happen from two different buttons, have you considered that one of the buttons is defective? Have you tried a second key fob to see if it has the same behavior?

second, do you notice the behavior in certain locations or everywhere. Was thinking that, if location based, RF interference might be causing the problem.

When I got my car, I wanted a second key.

The SC originally told me that they couldn't get them, but when I gave them the part number that I found on the forum - RKE Kit, 434 MHz, Roadster (6000581), they were able to order it without any issues.

So, just in case you need to go down that route.

Of course, they messed up the programming and it wouldn't open the trunk... (they fixed that quickly when I brought it back).

Hi Peter, how can I open the key? Gr, Marcel

there’s small screw with a Phillips head. After talking that out I used a utility knife to separate the two halves of the key (on the long edge close to the LED). It’s meant to open because that’s how you replace the battery.

Then you can pull out the rubber piece that surrounds the green circuit board - it all just fits loosely. Then the circuit board comes out of the river and the buttons are exposed.

Attachments

• 636CE1F7-7C22-4A2C-8B67-B562665AE20E.jpeg
    636CE1F7-7C22-4A2C-8B67-B562665AE20E.jpeg
    144.2 KB · Views: 145
  • 2197BE50-D348-44FE-A69D-E3DF4CC653E7.jpeg
    2197BE50-D348-44FE-A69D-E3DF4CC653E7.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 43C0DC25-0BFE-4D45-ACF8-4A6D025949D0.jpeg
    43C0DC25-0BFE-4D45-ACF8-4A6D025949D0.jpeg
    105.3 KB · Views: 66
  • EC4F32B6-8E1A-4BEB-B328-655EE5776719.jpeg
    EC4F32B6-8E1A-4BEB-B328-655EE5776719.jpeg
    141.1 KB · Views: 98
Thanks! I have a 2.0 and different key, but found lotus key manual online (see picture). I am cleaning it now. My trunk button isn't working anymore. Gr, Marcel

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200815-213205_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200815-213205_Chrome.jpg
    476.1 KB · Views: 76
I have the same problem, and it certainly seems to be one button, and not the whole key or radio link.

After Tesla Service charged $95 to decide that they can't repair it, and another $43 to determine that they cannot program my spare key, I decided to use my EE skills to repair. Opening the key fob, I see an SMD button for each function, and I assume that a new button for 'lock' will restore brand-new reliability. I plan to order a replacement and solder it in, since I happen to have SMD tools at my workbench.

Does anybody know the OEM part number for this SMD switch? The body is 6mm long and 3.5mm wide. I failed to measure the depth, which is probably very important. The numbers '5' and '1' are stamped on the case. I may be able to find an exact or equivalent replacement by searching online, but it seems best to ask around here in case anyone already knows the manufacturer and part number that Tesla Motors used.

I'll reply if I'm successful finding a replacement, but I hope someone will reply with a part number.