Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob worked in different car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife had bizarre experience yesterday. She parked our S90D at an appointment, came out after the appointment approached the car, the handles presented she got in and started to back the car out of the parking spot. She peeked over her shoulder while backing out and noted a child seat...we don't have a child. She freaked out, parked the car, hopped out and realized it was someone else's S90D, parked a couple spots away from our vehicle. I find it hard to imagine our keys had the same code and would work interchangeably in both vehicles? Initially thought that maybe the other owner had left their fob in the car. But my wife assures me the door handles presented as she walked up, she didn't have to touch them. Thoughts?

My wife had a family accidentally start climbing into the back of her 4runner while she was parked in a parking lot and sitting in the drivers seat while texting someone. The grandkids jumped in the back and then someone opened the passenger side as they realized it was not their 4runner! kind of funny, I bet the look on their faces was priceless

I believe that each key has a unique serial number. When the car and the key are mated the car looks for a key with that exact serial number, so theoretically this shouldn’t be possible. I can’t explain how the handles presented (unless maybe they didn’t and she touched them without really thinking about it) but I believe that the correct key must have been in the car somewhere.

It is possible that there is a bug, that any key initiates the presenting of door handles so long as the right key is nearby.

If your wife could reproduce this event on site multiple times, she could file a bug report and possibly make note of the VIN numbers of the cars for further investigation.

Or maybe it didn't really happen ;)

This happened about thirty years ago:

In Ontario we get new stickers to put on our license plates each year. I went to the MTO office, got my new sticker and came out and decided to peel off the old stickers on the plate of my blue Ford Tempo. I started peeling off the stickers when I noticed something strange - one of the stickers was for 1986 but I didn't buy the car until 1988. I looked up and realized that I had the wrong car - this one was exactly like mine but parked one spot over. I stuck the other stickers back on and went on my way!

It's not hard to imagine all car manufacturers have this issue. There's only a finite number of key codes and eventually they will repeat.

With a digital signal, there is no limit to the number of key codes. It costs the same to have the capacity for a trillion as it does to max out at 256. We know they didn't use an 8 bit or 16 bit integer value for the code because we'd have lots of collisions by now if that was the case, and the next bump up to 32 bit integers allows for 2,147,483,647 unique key codes. A 64 bit key code is even more insane.

In short: Nope, not possible.

Maybe the other car owner left their keys in the car? Did u check cup holder?
Or forgot to lock the car while having "lock on walk away" disabled, or accidentally unlocked using the app. Remember that handles will still retract if doors are closed but unlocked. Someone who drives a Model S would touch the handle instinctively if it didn't auto-present and likely not even remember doing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.