Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fob

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having issues with key fobs I can lock and unlock but the car doesn’t recognize the key fob and have to start with phone tried upgrading by placing in center console replacing battery hard restart taking battery out for 10 minutes at a loss now any thoughts?

No that’s the odd thing can lock and unlock by pushing key fob doesn’t recognize proximity won’t start the car can lock and unlock inside the car with key fob but getting key not found error and won’t start even if I just locked and unlocked car from keyfob

I think you have some interference in the console near the receiver for the key fob. When the key is not working, what electronics are near the receiver? Is your phone charging? Any other accessories using the USBs in the console? If so, stop the power going to the accessories and remove your phone from the charger. Your problem should go away. This happened to me when the phone was charging in the console cradle.

@DerbyDave, good catch on the electronics interfering with the signal. We don't see this one often considering people are finally understanding that.
@Dmhkap, its a good idea to not carry your phone near your fob. For example, most men have learned we must/can put the phone in one front pocket and fob in the other front pocket to insure the devices are far enough apart to avoid phone causing interference and blocking fob signal. We used to regularly see reports that fob and phones in the purse would prevent fob working too.

Settings>passive entry. This was turned OFF by Tesla in a recent software update and gave me the exact same symptoms until I found the setting and turned passive entry back on. They did this as a response to some hacker group proving that they could walk by your keys and sniff the code with a custom built hacking device and relay the code back to your car to start it and potentially steal it.