Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fobs don't differentiate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had to replace one of the original keys early on. I wonder if anyone knows how to to definitively assign the fobs themselves so they are always #1 & #2? I think the car is confused as to which is which as it seems to lose the settings, then the only option is to associate both drivers with "Key Fob 2". Any thoughts?

I had to replace one of the original keys early on. I wonder if anyone knows how to to definitively assign the fobs themselves so they are always #1 & #2? I think the car is confused as to which is which as it seems to lose the settings, then the only option is to associate both drivers with "Key Fob 2". Any thoughts?

This requires a trip to the Service Center. Mobile Service might also be able to help, but they will be reluctant to tie up a ranger for that. The SC should have made sure the fob was registered uniquely, before you left the site. They will require both fobs to fix it.

There apparently are a number of idiosyncrasies with the Model X, that make this very difficult. You will not be able to fix this yourself. I had a failure of the Central Body control module (which is the device that detects the bluetooth signal from the fob). It took them 30 odd minutes to replace the control module. But it took them many hours over two days to get the fobs correctly registered. They actually burned through five fobs to get me two that were uniquely distinctive.

• Informative
Reactions: Silicon Desert
Upvote 0
Wew, i never imagined one may have to go through all of this to replace a key fob battery. My MX is approaching 2 yrs so I am not sure when I will get the call to replace the batteries
Just replace the batteries yourself. We have done this will no ill effects.

The only issue is getting the correct battery, CR2354, they are not in every store and you will likely have to order. Don't use the similar-sized CR2032 which you can find at every Supermarket.

Reactions: peety3
Upvote 0
The only issue is getting the correct battery, CR2354, they are not in every store and you will likely have to order. Don't use the similar-sized CR2032 which you can find at every Supermarket.
^ This. Order a pair from Amazon and stow them in your box o' batteries. Cheap insurance for a big surprise. I'd assume the batteries on the shelf last longer than the batteries in the fobs, so even if they sit a while, they'll keep you going long enough to order another set.

Upvote 0