Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fobs, key cards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to keep the key fob and/or key card in my pocket to open, lock, and start my Tesla. I'd rather not take the fob or key card out to wave it at the reader. Do the key fob and key card function to start the car? I've looked all through the owner's manual but didn't find a clear answer. I've looked at the FAQs on Tesla's website but didn't find an answer. Only locking and unlocking the car were addressed.

I just bought a used Model 3. I owned a Leaf and didn't need to have the key fob out of my pocket. Thanks in advance for responses to my question.

I want to keep the key fob and/or key card in my pocket to open, lock, and start my Tesla. I'd rather not take the fob or key card out to wave it at the reader. Do the key fob and key card function to start the car? I've looked all through the owner's manual but didn't find a clear answer. I've looked at the FAQs on Tesla's website but didn't find an answer. Only locking and unlocking the car were addressed.

I just bought a used Model 3. I owned a Leaf and didn't need to have the key fob out of my pocket. Thanks in advance for responses to my question.

If you buy a new keyfob for a Tesla model 3, it can work in a passive manner, like the phone.

Reactions: ColoradoMike
Upvote 0
Model 3 Key Fob | Tesla Support Other Europe indicates that some fobs have passive entry but others do not. Perhaps the used car you bought came with a fob without passive entry?

Yeah, the first keyfobs that were available did not have the passive entry capability. The new ones do though. I have one of each, actually. I didnt click the link you have there (im on a business call while typing this, lol), but from memory, I remember the non passive one has one thing on the bottom of the keyfob, and the passive one has something different (like one says Tesla and one says Model 3 or something like that).

If OP buys a new one it will be passive though.

Upvote 0
Yeah, the first keyfobs that were available did not have the passive entry capability. The new ones do though. I have one of each, actually. I didnt click the link you have there (im on a business call while typing this, lol), but from memory, I remember the non passive one has one thing on the bottom of the keyfob, and the passive one has something different (like one says Tesla and one says Model 3 or something like that).
My non-passive fob has "Model 3" on the bottom:
tesla_fob_bottom.jpg

tesla_fob_top.jpg

Upvote 0
My car doesn't detect a phone in my pocket. It's pretty annoying to have to have the phone out in my hand in order to unlock the car (because it's supposed to be automatic.) The automatic locking doesn't work either. The signal doesn't go through clothing or a human body.

If the key fobs are "passive entry" then they probably don't work through clothing or humans either. I want one I can click to operate. you know, like key fobs are supposed to work. 🙄

Upvote 0
My car doesn't detect a phone in my pocket. It's pretty annoying to have to have the phone out in my hand in order to unlock the car (because it's supposed to be automatic.) The automatic locking doesn't work either. The signal doesn't go through clothing or a human body.

If the key fobs are "passive entry" then they probably don't work through clothing or humans either. I want one I can click to operate. you know, like key fobs are supposed to work. 🙄
Interesting. Which phone?

Upvote 0

You have to just take your phone out or you have to take it out and open the app?

If the later go to settings app -> Tesla -> Location and set it to always. Setting to always will have negligible effect on battery.

I've heard of a lot of folks having issues until they set the location to Always (including myself).

Reactions: Gumball
Upvote 0
You have to just take your phone out or you have to take it out and open the app?

If the later go to settings app -> Tesla -> Location and set it to always. Setting to always will have negligible effect on battery.

I've heard of a lot of folks having issues until they set the location to Always (including myself).
I have to have the phone out but I don’t have to make the app active. The car won’t unlock when it’s in my pocket, but I think that’s my body in the way when it’s in my back pocket. I changed Location to Always a while ago. It could have something to do with Bluetooth going to sleep but it’s unclear if there’s anything I can do about it. I usually open the app to turn climate on, then walk out to the parking lot a couple of minutes later. So… what does that tell me??

I have to schedule service for one of the panel gaps so I plan to add this issue about the phone. I just received a key fob so I’ll see if that works any better.

Upvote 0
You just carry the phone in your pocket. Is that too difficult for him?

Some people just dont like to use smartphones. From the description (phone for emergency calls only) it either isnt a smartphone, or the person has no desire to use it that way. Its a bit rare in todays society, but not unheard of. There are others that have posted here who have no desire to use a smartphone.

Upvote 0
Re passive/non-passive fobs, I saw a video which I think answers this question which is simply that if the fob has “Model 3/Y” on the bottom is an older non-passive one whereas if it has “Tesla” on the bottom it’s a newer passive one.

I just got my Y a week ago and also have been frustrated by the fact my iPhone won’t open the door upon approaching the car - even with the phone in my hand.

It gets curiouser and curiouser.

The car always locks automatically as I walk away from the car with the phone in my pocket - it just won’t open until I hit the lock icon in the app (or widget on my Home Screen).

There’s more. When I approach the car in the morning to remove the charger handle with the phone in my pocket, the car automatically opens. Therefore, the Bluetooth connection between the phone and the car is obviously present. It’s just that it refuses to unlock the car automatically/passively even though it will always close it when I walk away.

(My location setting is “Always” BTW).

I suspect it’s a Bluetooth issue of some kind and I’ll probably contact Tesla support to see if they can suggest anything but it’s really frustrating for the same reasons others have mentioned.

I’d like to avoid the ludicrous £170 for the fob when passive entry should work but I’ve read that others have had similar problems and am not confident of a fix.

(I’ve also found that the key cards take 15-20 secs to think about it before opening the car but I’m treating these as a backup only anyway.)

I’d be grateful for any advice from anyone who has the same problem.

Upvote 0