Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key fobs, key cards

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want to keep the key fob and/or key card in my pocket to open, lock, and start my Tesla. I'd rather not take the fob or key card out to wave it at the reader. Do the key fob and key card function to start the car? I've looked all through the owner's manual but didn't find a clear answer. I've looked at the FAQs on Tesla's website but didn't find an answer. Only locking and unlocking the car were addressed.

I just bought a used Model 3. I owned a Leaf and didn't need to have the key fob out of my pocket. Thanks in advance for responses to my question.

I had the same issue this morning. I closed all the apps on my phone early this morning and then when I approached the car it would not open until I launched that app again.
I also notice that at times the car won't unlock if I have my phone in my back pocket, in the front pocket its fine.
However, once I am in the car i can just drive, no need to touch or do anything with the phone.

With the Card you need to put it by the cup holders near the armrest to be able to drive.

The cell phone is supposed to act just as a traditional keyless fob.

Upvote 0
What model iPhone?
It’s a 12 Pro however, following a phone reboot, it now seems to be working so it may have been some bizarre Bluetooth issue.

Thanks anyway.

I also bought the fob so I now have 2nd backup in addition to the key card.

I have noticed however that when walking away from the car that I have to walk @ 20 metres before it automatically locks, which is disconcerting. I’m usually tempted to force it to lock using my fob just in case.

Upvote 0
Do you unlock your Tesla Model 3 / Model Y in new style, you don't need a key fob or key card or even a phone to start your Tesla. No need to worry about losing your key fob or phone is running out of power.This Tesla ring key is a great accessory to replace your Tesla key fob/card or phone. Compared to the phone, your smart key ring requires no charging and no batteries and it is a decoration that suitable for a variety of occasions.
1678961586612.png

Upvote 0
Till they come to their senses the Tesla implementation of their who entry exist system is flawed. Yes, its a great car, but its something every other car with keyless entry drive does better, they just don't have the phone option.

1. The Tesla passive system, regardless of phone or fob relies on BLE signal strength, its somewhat unreliable and you car can be sometime unlocked with your phone significant distance from you vehicle. 10-20m.

2. Car sometimes takes ages to auto lock when you move away from it. On a regular car, you would shut the door and press the lock button on the door handle.

3. Leave your phone/fob in the car and walk away, (say your forgot). If you didn't wait to hear the beep or look at mirrors, your car would stay unlocked. In a regular setup, you'd press the door handle lock button and get a warning beep and would be able to lock the car without taking the fob out of the vehicle.

4. In a regular setup, the passive unlock only works at the particular side of the vehicle (eg the left, right or the trunk/boot) you are trying to lock unlock. Eg, you can't just be somewhat in the vicinity of the car to unlock it, you have to be right next to it. To further highlight the difference, a person on the right side of the car cannot unlock the vehicle with the handle button if you are standing on the left side with the fob.

Tesla innovate so well, yet take steps backward in things that have proven to work perfectly over time. Look if you want to use a phone as a key, great, you have that option. But those of us who like to keep things at the same security level as we are used to with other vehicles have to disable the phone as a key, lock and unlock the car via the app (or keycard). So more inconvenience.

Upvote 0
Some people just dont like to use smartphones. From the description (phone for emergency calls only) it either isnt a smartphone, or the person has no desire to use it that way. Its a bit rare in todays society, but not unheard of. There are others that have posted here who have no desire to use a smartphone.
Yeah I agree. I hate being those people that always has their phone out and it sucks that Tesla doesn’t give a standard key fob. I like being able to unlock my car for my wife or kids with the simple push of a button especially if we’re carrying bags or whatever. and not have to take my phone out just to unlock a car

Upvote 0
This problem is irritating me no end, it's the single worst performance aspect of the car. I've been driving my M3 for over a year and have tried multiple models of iPhone, including the latest iPhone 15 pro. I always leave the app running and always give it permissions to my location at all times -- everything it asks for. And the reliability of the phone lock/unlock/drive is absolutely terrible. About half the time, the car fails to let me in or let me open the trunk, even when I'm right next it. Sometimes, I deliberately take my time trying to get into the car to try to give it more of a chance to recognize my phone lock, and it still won't let me in. I don't believe it has anything to do with clothing. Sometimes, I will fetch the phone from my pocket and it will then let me in -- but other times, it still won't and I'll be just stuck for a time. One reliable workaround seems to be to use the iPhone control panel to disable Bluetooth entirely then re-enable it -- I can always get into my car that way. But by then, I've wasted 30 seconds of my life just trying to get into my car, a problem I've never had with any other car ever.

And it gets a bit worse than that. Sometimes the car will let me in with the phone still in my pocket, but not let me drive! You !&*#%&^ POS, you just authenticated me to get into the car but you won't let me drive?!?! As with getting into the car, it's hit or miss on whether it will eventually let me drive with the phone in my pocket. Again, I can try in frustration to put the car in gear multiple times and it usually works, or I can eventually shuffle around until I can get the phone out of my pocket and by then it usually has deigned to let me drive anyway, or I can force bluetooth off then on in my phone's control panel and that will always work. (I rarely need to do this once the car has let me inside.)

I'm deeply, deeply frustrated about this. I hate the idea of buying a ridiculously expensive extra fob (and of having to carry it -- I'm completely key-free right now and enjoying it, modulo hatred of this aspect of the M3). But my main question is, WILL A FOB ACTUALLY WORK RELIABLY? If I buy a new fob, can I leave it in my pocket at all times, and ALWAYS get into the car and ALWAYS be allowed to drive, immediately, with no delays?

Interested in hearing experiences of folks who bought a fob to know if it finally allowed them to enter + drive the car as I'd expect from any car after 2000.

Upvote 0
But my main question is, WILL A FOB ACTUALLY WORK RELIABLY? If I buy a new fob, can I leave it in my pocket at all times, and ALWAYS get into the car and ALWAYS be allowed to drive, immediately, with no delays?
While I wouldn't say everything ever works 100% of the time, I haven't had the fob fail on me yet except when the battery was low (and the car was warning me for weeks that the fob battery is low)

Reactions: rhaining
Upvote 0
For the first several months I owned my 3 (July-Dec 2018) I exclusively used a keycard. It was simple and worked reliably. I then paired my smartphone to use as a key and ever since, reliability has hovered around 90-95%. I don't always have the app running but it doesn't seem to me to make any difference. I keep my phone on my right hip with a belt holster so it's as close to the car as possible when opening the trunk or driver's door.

In cases where the phone is not recognized I have the 1st Gen (non-passive) fob in my pocket which with one two presses, unlocks the car. That fob has never failed and it still has the original battery that's about 5 years old. I also use the fob to lock the car if I don't hear the confirmation toot of the horn as I'm walking away.

Note that the current fob is passive and may have the same issue as a smartphone with reliable connections. In which case you'll have to physically press the button to unlock.

I also normally carry two keycards with me; one in my RFID-blocking wallet and a second one shown here:

If needed to "start" the car, I place the whole holster behind the cup holders on the console.

Last edited:
Upvote 0