Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Key Fobs not working

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had nothing but problems with my key fobs since I bought my 2020 MS. I'm about to go out of warranty.

My 2018 never had issues with presenting the door handles when I walked up from any angle.

I can only approach the car from the front to have the door handles present themselves before I get to the door. If I come from the rear of the car or the passenger side I have to press the door handle or worse I have to double press the key fob to unlock the car. I also get the Key not in car message while driving. I have had the car in service for this issue 10 times without any real resolution. Tesla has replaced the key fobs three times. I had talked with them on the ninth try about the possibility of bad antenna's, no work was done. Changed Batteries. One ranger was concerned with the latex key fob protector I use, and or the keys themselves on the key ring.

After a meeting with Tesla service Tuesday they asked me to only run the key fob out of the protector and without keys. I totally disagree with this but am trying it. Walking up to car is still fine but on other angles there are times I hit the door handle, then the car will present the handles.

I had similar issue with the charging door not opening when I go to charge. Tesla said I had to hold the charger head over the car to get it to open when it misbehaves.

Yep, the newer high-security FOBs are less sensitive. So it's a tradeoff of low security (easy to hack) and easy to detect, vs. newer FOBs that are far harder to hack but are less sensitive. The new FOBs use two frequencies, and the 6-8 GHz frequency (at the low power the fob uses) is just not as sensitive. New fobs appeared around 2020, but I'm not sure of the exact date.

The newer cars are only designed for the new FOB, so you can't switch to the old FOBs.
It helps to keep the key separate from other metal objects (keys, phones, etc.) that interfere with the signal. I'm talking an inch or less, more distance should not matter. The silicone cover has zero effect. Holding it in your hand can have the effect of increasing the range, which is true of all FOBs.

The charge port door is a different issue and uses a different frequency. Their advice is good.

Yep, the newer high-security FOBs are less sensitive. So it's a tradeoff of low security (easy to hack) and easy to detect, vs. newer FOBs that are far harder to hack but are less sensitive. The new FOBs use two frequencies, and the 6-8 GHz frequency (at the low power the fob uses) is just not as sensitive. New fobs appeared around 2020, but I'm not sure of the exact date.

The newer cars are only designed for the new FOB, so you can't switch to the old FOBs.
It helps to keep the key separate from other metal objects (keys, phones, etc.) that interfere with the signal. I'm talking an inch or less, more distance should not matter. The silicone cover has zero effect. Holding it in your hand can have the effect of increasing the range, which is true of all FOBs.

The charge port door is a different issue and uses a different frequency. Their advice is good.
Thanks vcor

A lot of times simply grabbing the remote in my had would active the car as you noted. I removed keys to see how that would help and it did not, I only have four keys now. I have the FOB tucked in my upper coat pocket all alone and it is working just enough to activate the car as I approach. Worse case I touch the door handle to open.

Why wouldn't Tesla simply tell me this if they have changed the remotes. I always used the note that I had a substantial difference between the 2018 and my 2020 FOB's. Of course Tesla doesn't speak to anyone, once you taken delivery of your car.

Of course my biggest question is why didn't Tesla tie our phones to the car like the model 3 and Y? they have had it for years,

My guess is most Tesla people are not aware of the technical changes to the FOB. Doesn't excuse it, but there is a lot that changes in these cars over the years, much of which is invisible.

For the S/X made after Feb-2021, they do use the phone. In fact, they stopped including the FOB with the S/X for new sales in the last month or two. I had also hoped they would add the phone to the older S, but the Bluetooth antennas are not well placed, and they didn't have support for the key card prior to Feb-2021, which is used if your phone is dead.

No, key card was not the primary issue. It's the Bluetooth antenna placement. Prior to June 2021 the Model S was designed to pick up Bluetooth from within the car, not outside it. Tesla added external Bluetooth antennas to make the phone key work.

Thanks vcor

I ran the fob all week isolated in my top coat pocket. I had two episodes where the car would not drive until I hit a button on the remote. It let me in the car though. Two or three times I had to hit the door handle for it to present the handles but drove fine

Hello everyone I just bought a June Build 2020 Model S performance from Tesla. I have the auto present walk away doors enabled as well. I dont have keys just the Key fob. I am on day 2 lol coming from model 3, i knew i would need key fob instead of phone key which i loved on my Model 3 and worked flawless. So far it rarely auto presents. I have to tap the handle to present, or delays until i get run in front of Driver door. some times I have to take fob out of pocket. Then it opens. I havnt had to press the button yet. I did replace the battery today with new one I had in the house.

Reading this thread it seems the signal isnt as Strong. Is this the case for all or what can I do? I have the Tesla warranty so I can message them but trying to get some idea’s from experiences current S owners with similar year and build. The car is low miles and spotless body wise.

Thx

Scott