TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Key fobs.

Discussion in 'Model X: Battery & Charging' started by Dr. John, Aug 7, 2018.

1. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

Key fobs don't let doors open. New batteries no help. Checked 12v battery with charger and it is good. SC says need new fobs and must program at car not over internet. Others with same problem?

2. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Yes
    We had a kfob fail. Put new batteries in and still didn’t work. They wanted me to leave car but I insisted and the ranger came out with new fob and programmed it in my driveway.

3. dethman

dethman Member

both fobs?

yes the fob has to be programmed at the car. i received a new fob and mobile service had to come and program it.

• Like x 1
  4. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Only one failed

5. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Funny, the 1st replacement failed too,
    Luckily, he had another one, and was able to
    Program it to our car.

6. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

Interesting that replacing the battery did not help. My car died at a shopping center and had to be towed. They had me put my keyfob in the car and remove the battery from it so the car would not detect the presence of the fob. Phone support then locked the car. When the tow driver came he had phone support unlock the car. He then inserted the battery and put the car in tow mode.

7. Sandiegodoug

Sandiegodoug Member

Ranger told me key fobs go bad. It was nothing we did, and one original fob worked fine. Replaced battery anyway

• Like x 1
  8. Dr. John

Dr. John Member

Both my key fobs died at same time and would not open driver door. Got it open and had to leave one fob in center console under 12v outlet to drive and leave unlocked after that. Ranger brought two new fobs and programmed them to car. Also replaced fwd top seal on the driver side and new window wipers as each were showing signs of deteriorating. Seals had been on order earlier so all was done at once in my garage for NC. Thanks Tesla.

9. GoCanes

GoCanes Member

BTW, do NOT leave your key fob in your jeans pocket when you throw it in the wash - the fobs don't like water apparently... After drying it out and putting in a fresh battery, it still works, but the X constantly shows the "replace key fob battery soon" notice.

Also, I purchased replacement batteries from Amazon recently and got a bad batch - had to re-order another one to get my good (non-laundered) fob to work. Maybe I should have paid more than $3.89 for the batteries??

10. DCGOO

DCGOO Member

The SC will replace your batteries for free

11. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Different fobs but our Model S had a fob go bad right after we bought it